Rules ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules ?????

Ongoing debate at our club, once into colours if you pocket a colour then go in off do you respot the colour? We have had all sorts of rules quoted usually it changes depending on who is winning

The colour gets re-spotted, I'm sure someone will provide the rule number shortly!
    “There are a lot of good players capable of winning the title but as long as I’m still in it they’ve got a headache.” Stephen Hendry

Comment

Originally Posted by jiffypol View Post
      Ongoing debate at our club, once into colours if you pocket a colour then go in off do you respot the colour? We have had all sorts of rules quoted usually it changes depending on who is winning
      Yes, absolutely.

When the reds have gone, each colour must be potted. Since the definition of 'pot' is to legally pocket a ball, then if the white goes in-off the colour has NOT been potted, so it must return to the table until it is potted.

Put it this way: every colour must be scored for. Since you do not score for a ball that you go in-off, you must replace it till someone does score for it.

Comment

Yes, it should be re-spotted after an in-off.
        After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Beat me by seconds, and explained it better anyway
          After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Couldnt see the actual rule number but if im ever unsure I look at www.worldsnooker.com/rules_of_snooker.htm.

Hope this helps.
            Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
            Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Thanks Rocket roy, that makes sense. Should stop the arguments

Comment

Ive heard SOOOOO many arguments down the years in various snooker halls and used to butt it but now I laugh and leave them to it. The funniest actually happened recently although it wasnt an argument. 2 guys were playing on the table next to me and it was obvious one guy knew nothing about snooker rules and the other only marginally more although he made out to his mate he knew them inside out. The one who knew nothing went in off and said to his mate "what happens now" His mate replied "2 shots to me mate" I had to leave for the bar or wouldve laughed in their faces!!!
                Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                  Couldnt see the actual rule number but if im ever unsure I look at www.worldsnooker.com/rules_of_snooker.htm.

Hope this helps.
                  There it is:

Section 3 (The Game), Rule 3 (Mode of play) subsection (f) (iii) explains when the colour stays off the table

Section 4 (The Game), Rule 11 (Fouls) subsection (d) explains that during any foul the colour comes back

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                    The one who knew nothing went in off and said to his mate "what happens now" His mate replied "2 shots to me mate" I had to leave for the bar or wouldve laughed in their faces!!!
                    Sounds like he should play with my seven year old - not only does he think he should get two shots - he also wants to be able to place the white anywhere!!

Comment

ive had some truly ridiculous advice given to me not only about rules but also about the way to play certian shots by some of the older members of the club i play at, i dont want to be rude so i never correct any of them but i find it amasing how keen they are to educate others when they have no idea what they are talking about.

a couple of my favourites were:
                      " a free ball is always worth 4 points"
                      "if you nominate a free ball and fail to pot it its a foul"

but by far my favourite was listening to two guys on the table next to me have an in depth conversation about the how they remember watching on tv jimmy white beating hendry in the world championship final
                      New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Working...
                      X