Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which cue finiton is the best...

between lacque, oil or wax??

What are the difference(s), advantage(s), disadvantage(s) etc for one or the other for the playing and the conservation of the cue??

I own a lacquered cue so I can tell it is ok, hard at the butt and now cracked because of the weather or because it has been hit one time... There is stripes near the middle of the butt.. Otherwise, I never played with a olied/waxed cue so what's the diff???

Merci for your replies,

"OO"

"finition" was the word... and not "finiton".
    sorry, I am unable to edit my post afterwards.. No idea why....

C'est la vie...

"OO"

ps; english is my second language but hey, I am not so bad!!...
    pss: editing posts is working now.. Bingo!!

Comment

Your English is pretty good! Don't worry. If you want to discuss snooker in French, contact me!
      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

hi oo, in my opinion you'd be applying a small amount of oil (linseed; the type cricket bats are seasoned with) every 6 months or so... in the meantime you'd be keeping it clean with damp&dry cloths... not too much water though as it'll make the wood swell. (and not a huge amount of oil as I found out to my cost last year!)
        Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

Oiled and waxed cues are usually found on the more expensive range of cues. Lacquered cues are usually found in the cheaper end of the market, though I think all Peradon cues, no matter whether budget or top of the range are usually lacquer finished.

I think lacquered cues are OK if its only the butt end that is lacquered. Sometimes cues have lacquer on the shaft too which makes it very difficult to cue smoothly. Naturally oiled/waxed cues are very smooth and nice to play with.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman
            Oiled and waxed cues are usually found on the more expensive range of cues. Lacquered cues are usually found in the cheaper end of the market, though I think all Peradon cues, no matter whether budget or top of the range are usually lacquer finished.

I think lacquered cues are OK if its only the butt end that is lacquered. Sometimes cues have lacquer on the shaft too which makes it very difficult to cue smoothly. Naturally oiled/waxed cues are very smooth and nice to play with.
            Merci! Oui Peradon are lacquered and they offered me to use oil or wax to custom the one I ordered, that was why I asked here. My Dufferin cue has a lacquered butt & oiled shaft (not much oiled now) and its ok. I like the feeling when playing...

"OO"

Comment

If I had the option I'd definitely choose an oil and wax finish anyday. Be interesting to see how good the cue is that Peradon make you compared to their standard range.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman
                If I had the option I'd definitely choose an oil and wax finish anyday. Be interesting to see how good the cue is that Peradon make you compared to their standard range.
                As I previously wrote, I talked to M.Ukrit from Mastercue and he said they were making mainstream brands like Peradon, Parris, etc... I guess Mastercue is producing standard Century cue maybe but when ordering a custom cue from Peradon, I am sure it is made there and not elsewhere.

I will post pics of the cue and relate all the details when I'll get it next month.

"OO"

Comment

I wouldn't take what Ukrit says too seriously. Maybe Mastercye have supplied the shafts or some part of the cues for these brands but I cannot see them able to produce the quantities needed for Peradon and Parris etc on a regular basis. Also, it wouldn't make good business sense to be telling all and sundry that Mastercue make other companies cues. If word were to get around it would seriously harm the reputations of these companies and obviously sales could go downhill fast, with it also ruining the relationships he may have with these companies.

Comment

I finally choose to have the butt lacqued and the shaft to be oiled, same as I had with my Dufferin here....

Can't wait to receive it...

"OO"

Comment

Working...
                    X