Apollo aluminium tubular cue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo aluminium tubular cue.

Help please..does anyone know what thread the screw in tip is for this cue...I've tried a screw in tip from an old cue but it doesn't fit.Ive measured the bore on the female which is 140 though...about 3.5mm ..so would it be a 4mm metric ( it looks like fine thread).But I'd have thought being from the late 50s 60s they'd be imperial.

HI i have a 2 piece and a 1 piece apollo aluminum cue i will try and measured the thread you could try this site https://www.facebook.com/cuesnviews

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/groups/868550929837779

Comment

hope this helps
        Attached Files

Comment

hi hope this works
          Attached Files

Comment

my 2 cues hope this works
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks garysnooker..I've just been to Chesworth cues in Sheffield..but even his screw ins don't fit...I'm not on Facebook so I couldn't go into the sites you sent..my cue has obviously the same diameter internal thread as yours..but all the screw thread tips I've come across up to now are too coarse.I check at work as to its thread as I work in engineering...cheers.

Comment

I'm afraid I've had to bodge a tip on the Apollo...I don't want to buy tips off the net hoping they'll be correct , so I've packed the thread with matchsticks tapered down.Luckily it's a blind hole so they bottom out.Ive superglued a very old tip which has a type of plastic wafer attached to it which I'd compressed down in a tip vice .After a lifetime of ash cues I'll see what it's like

Comment

Oh dear...any ideas of removing superglgued matchsticks from threaded holes ?.Of the 2 shots I played before the tip fell off it seemed quite nice.Ill send a small screw down the matchsticks then pull out with pliers.

Comment

Could you not get it referruled, you might lose 10-15 mill off the length(I'm just guessing here) but it would then be sorted .
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

No, it's an aluminium cue which if I can't get a tip to stick will be propping up the corner of the living room with all the other 'experiments' over the years.At least it won't warp.!!

Comment

Hallelujah..I've got a tip that stays on.The overriding thing I'd say is that the ribbed butt is annoying , but if I used it often enough I'm sure some tape would cure it..or I'd get used to it.The light shining on the shaft from the lights acts as a good sighting line..more so IMO than chevrons which in most cases are hit and miss.It vibrated a bit oddly , but I'd not got the thread tightened up enough..after that it was fine..quite a nice feel actually..I don't think the coldness of the shaft would be a terrible issue..The cue is bolt straight, as you'd expect ..which sadly is lacking in just about all cues sooner or later..although 2 piece cues are more exempt from that problem. As far as playing is concerned...with it being very stiff (as stiff a cue as I've ever used) there is almost no deflection...I've found the really whippy light cues suffer alot from this. All in all it screwed back and followed through nicely..but we all know this is down to the tip..the heat of the table and cloth weight and the skill of the player, but in my own game it's not different really from my other cues.

Comment

Probably the first cue I ever used on a full size table at a work's club in the mid-70s. There's 2 Apollo half butts, one short, one long, at the club I go to nowadays. I prefer them to the wooden ones as they don't flex.

Did you measure up the thread eventually?

BTP

Comment

No..in the end I'd lost patience and just glued one on..I remember the screw on pool cues which l didnt like

Comment

You are right though..absolutely no flex

Comment

Working...
                              X