Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burnishing a tip?

Hi guys,
    I have seen a few things on here that mention burnishing a tip?
    what is the benefit of doing this?
    what is the best method of doing this?
    Highest Match Break - 77
    Highest Practice Break - 101, 106, 111
    Highest Breaks of 2010 - 76-65-62-61-60-60-59-57

What does burnishing mean?

Comment

Isn't it something to do with rubbing the side of a tip after you have trimmed it down ? I think it helps the tip stay together after you have sort of damaged the fibres by cutting it. Ime sure i read ADR147 uses a £20 note, not sure why that helps, but then again he's loaded and maybe just showing off

Comment

think it helps to highlight areas of the tip that are unevenly trimmed allowing you to do an even job

Comment

Burnishing is done to seal the leather of the tip and also helps by keeping the tips shape for longer.
          You can use anything from paper money a piece of leather, to a till receipt.
          I use a Romanian note lol, it is like Australian notes(kind of laminated paper)
          "Don't think, feel"

Comment

it also heats it up a bit on the sides (if you trim carefully, you should be able to get the tip completely even) so that it hardens a bit, and it prevents the tips from mushrooming. you can use a bit of slick leather, or a bank note, or just a piece of paper. i just hold a small piece in my finger, and roll my cue on my thigh leg, back and fourth. i only use to do this while using BD or elk tips tho, as they were softer and often mushroomed. it seals in the fibres aswell. you only want to rub the tips sides tho, not the wood. heating of wood = bad idea.

its more a method often used by professionals with lathes, when they install tips on american cues. being much harder tips, they use a bit of water, and a piece of paper on a lathe. i think there are vids on youtube where they do this as examples. ideally, its just to make the sides hard and keep shape. i dont reccomend using any form of liquids when using on a soft english tip. layered tips and hard tips like pro granite hardly lose shape and mushroom, even when playing 9 ball on an american table. (yes, i am one of those people who enjoy playing 9 ball with a 10mm tip- i use my OLD snooker cue)

edit: lol i clicked 'new reply' then went and made some breakfast, came back, wrote the reply, and then saw that the doctor had replied! haha
            Last edited by BoBnoGG!n; 23 March 2010, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I have been told burnishing could prematurely damage a freshly installed layered tip because doing so would prevent the layered tip from "breaking in" and the layers compressing.
              Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
              My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

fax paper does it nicely

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                  I have been told burnishing could prematurely damage a freshly installed layered tip because doing so would prevent the layered tip from "breaking in" and the layers compressing.
                  maybe if you did it on a lathe but not the way we do it.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                  X