Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to spend £80?

Hi.

As I'm sure most of you know, I had purchased a cue package (Cue, case, mini butt and extension) for £80 from an eBay seller. I found out yesterday this has been "lost in the post". I wouldn't have paid so much if the cue hadn't been the design it was and hence I'm requesting a full refund. This leaves me with two choices (Well more, but only two I can see me considering:

1) Bid on another cue from the same seller but pay a price more in line for what I think to cues currently available.

2) Do what I should have done before and ask on here! What would you guys recommend for approx £80? I have a little flexibility (Within reason) for a cheaper OR more expensive cue. I would still like at least a cue and case but mini butt and extension really preferred. Ideally a 3/4 cue.

Really appreciate reading any comments you have and looking forward to spending cash AFTER (Doing it right this time!) doing my research. I appreciate my budget is tiny compared to what you guys spend but none the less.. I'd like to spend right!

Thanks

find an extra £30 and i will send you one of mine!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

craftsman have a few machine spliced ones which i've heard aren't too bad for beginners for that price, a bit more and you can get a hand spliced one if you don't like the machine splice look. I also think craftsman have some second hand trade ins if you visit them so your 80 quid may be enough
      Last edited by Jonny; 15 February 2009, 02:36 PM.

Comment

You could also contact MrO, I think he's got a craftsman for sale, going cheap. Otherwise, Andrew's suggestion is a good one!
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

maybe get an hour or so of coaching from del hill, i would not buy a cue in that price range.

Comment

I would buy a cue for around that (prob little more as adr said) but not expect to get a case etc. I think if you want a good cue ADRs suggestion is your best bet.
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

as RGC pointed out, it would be nice to get a 2nd hand peradon leather case

Comment

Thanks for the replies (Sensible, and not so sensible ).

I received a refund for the cue original purchased today and therefore I'm now ready to purchase another as soon as possible.

I appreciate that many don't see ~£80 as enough however, within reason, it is all that I can afford. It is certain to be better than the £8 one I picked it from Aldi (Of all places!).

I've sent a few emails this morning and once I begin getting replies I'll soon know if my £80 is going to get me anywhere near a "good" cue (New, or second hand). Failing this, I don't believe I'll have any option other than to opt for another Chinese cue... If I do this, then I'll try to reduce the amount I spend (Most times the auction ends at ~£60, however I was very keen on the one I original bought)... At least then I'll have my new cue but won’t have spent too much if it's poor... Even if it's only a £20 saving, it'll help towards something better somewhere down the line .

Thanks for all of the comments.

Comment

You should get a nice cue with a make you know. My brother bought a cue from China and its not very nice quality at all. Those cues from China might look nice but they are mass produced and the quality is quite poor. If you cannot afford one of adr's cues which i hear are very good try a Peradon Edwardian. It might not look out of this world but at least it will play well and that is the most important thing.

Comment

the best way to spend £80 is half oz of skunk
                    Last edited by paulbur; 16 February 2009, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by paulbur View Post
                      the best way to spen £80 is half oz of skunk
                      you need a better dealer!

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        you need a better dealer!
                        thats the price if living in london, can you do any better?

Comment

Originally Posted by paulbur View Post
                          thats the price if living in london, can you do any better?
                          not any more i gave it up years ago.

Comment

Just been scouring the internet a little more, seeing if there were any online shops that I had overlooked. Stumpled upon Green Baize. Any feedback on them/cues they sell?

Comment

never bought a cue of stu, but his service is excellent. willing to help and explain. has a stall at reighton (now blue dolphin pool comp) i get my cue tips from him as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X