cue length for smaller person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue length for smaller person

Does the ideal cue length for a smaller person still follow the rule of shoulder height. I am 5' 5" with a shoulder height of 54". do I look for a cue length of similar height or is the standard of 57" suitable?

I am 175cm tall and using a 55"~56".
    "要有非凡既生活就要有非凡既付出"
    it means
    "If u want to have a extraordinary life,u must have a extraordinary devote"

Comment

I am 5 ft 7in and use a 56 inch cue, I have tried shorter and longer cues but they just dont feel right.

I dont really buy into the shoulder height theory, I believe its down to the length of your arms which will dictate which length of cue feels more comfortable.

For example I have a fairly short reach of arm which is why I believe a shorter cue of 56 inch feels more comfortable a friend of mine is your height 5'5 but has quite long arms and uses a 58inch cue, he has tried mine but finds it too short.
      Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

Again with the shoulder height :-> It would be right method if you use your legs and middle body to hold your cue. Anyway, the cue length should based on the length of your arms.

Comment

Cue length is nothing to do with the height of your shoulder. It is down to many things, the length of your arms, whether you bend your bridge arm or keep it straight, whether you prefer to hold the cue at the end or just up, how far you stand away from the table.

At the address position, when the tip is at the white, your rear forearm should be vertical. Get a rack cue, get down as if you were going to play a shot, adjust your grip on the cue so that your arm is vertical elbow to grip, and get a friend to measure the distance from white to the back of your grip. This will be the minimum cue length you require. I always think it is best to add an inch or two to this as you can hold the cue further up the butt to get the same result. However I know people that hate holding the cue anywhere but right at the end of the butt.
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by thornts View Post
            Does the ideal cue length for a smaller person still follow the rule of shoulder height. I am 5' 5" with a shoulder height of 54". do I look for a cue length of similar height or is the standard of 57" suitable?
            (From my personal experience) Try many cues with lengths between 55-57, and see which one will give you a smooth, straight, cueing action, and most comfortable to play with. A friend of mine is 5'9" but plays very good with 55.5" cue. In Thailand, a few cuemakers will even do a measurement of your cueing hand, looking at how you grip your butt, etc. we call this 'tailor made' process. But it won't promise you a better player, just a cue that fits you nicely. From my experience. Hope this helps
            It's in the Shaft

Comment

I think the idea is that, in general, there is a correlation of shoulder height with arm length; ie the measure of shoulder height is an INDEX of appropriate cue length NOT a causal factor.

However I do understand that this correlation is not perfect.

Comment

Working...
              X