Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peradon finish.

Hi everyone,
    I know this has most probably been covered many times before but so many differing answers???
    on a peradon pro cue can any body tell me for certain what type of finish is applied to the shaft. is it laquered, waxed or oiled.
    have the option of buying one quite cheap but dont want to end up with a cue that sticks in my hand hen i throw it in the corner after a bad shot lol.
    no seriously i hate sticky cues and have heard that they can be refinished if wrong but need to weigh up the price of the cue and any extra to refinish otherwise a bargain aint always a bargain.
    Mart

forgot to say pro-cue mini butt and 23-39 screw in extension + case £135

Comment

Not quite sure what the Finish is on them but I have a Peradon Century cue, I've had it for about 5 years now and still love it.
      Alot of people arn't keen on the Peradons but i get on fine with mine so why change!

The shaft on mine was never sticky but then after about 3 years i decided to Sand it down and refinish it with linseed oil. I've just done it again last month and the cue is still playing perfect.
      (Although I don't recommend you sand your cue down!!)

I have about 10 different cues including Peradon, Thurston, craftsman etc.. but something keeps drawing me back to the Peradon Century.

I would be interested to know what the original finish was on the Peradon and also what the finish is on the butt as that has always seemed to be a mirror finish!!

Ally

Comment

hi Ally,
        seems to be the consensus on here that the butt is lacquered but dont really see hat it makes that much difference as thats not the end that slides through the bridge. the one ive been offered also seems to have a shiny butt.

Comment

I think Peradon still lacquer the butt end of the cue, possibly to just above the points on the shaft. I remember my mate who had a Peradon also sanded his down so that it was smooth and it helped him no end. When the cue is brushing against your chest sometimes the lacquered area can rub a bit and cause it to stick a little to your clothing, that's why I'd avoid lacquer on any part of a cue.

Comment

ok so if i take the cue off my mate do you think i should rub the shaft down with fine wire wool and apply oil ????

Comment

and if i do should i use raw linseed oil or boiled ????

Comment

Some of these Peradon cues do not use real ebony and are painted on, so you need to be careful when you take the varnish off the butt.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Mart, I sanded my shaft a little with fine sandpaper and then oiled it with Raw Linseed oil, left it ten minutes or so then wiped it down. Left it over night and the next day it was fine and has been fine since!!

That said I don't like to recommend anyone sanding their cue down just incase it goes wrong! remember to tape up or avoid the ferrule as you dont want to scratch it!!

Ally

Comment

Originally Posted by Ally View Post
                    Mart, I sanded my shaft a little with fine sandpaper and then oiled it with Raw Linseed oil, left it ten minutes or so then wiped it down. Left it over night and the next day it was fine and has been fine since!!

That said I don't like to recommend anyone sanding their cue down just incase it goes wrong! remember to tape up or avoid the ferrule as you dont want to scratch it!!

Ally
                    i think its fair to say, you dont have to sand all the way to the ferrule. about 2inches from the ferrule should be enough. you only need smoothness where the shaft is, where you bridge, or if you hav your chin rubbin on the cue, and it gets sticky there, then you can apply that to there too. but i dont think its neccessary to sand down the entire cue if the shafts sticky =]

Comment

change of plan lads craftsman legend, to my specs + mini butt and extension £137.
                      used craftsman before and never had a problem with sticky shaft 2 quid extra but hey cue is to the right weight and tip size for my liking so better deal me thinks. craftsman i had before got run over by an EX mate of mine with his forklift. broke the butt and mini butt . still got the shaft so will keep it as spare incase the dozey so and so gets lead footed again Mart

Comment

Originally Posted by mart-j View Post
                        change of plan lads craftsman legend, to my specs + mini butt and extension £137.
                        used craftsman before and never had a problem with sticky shaft 2 quid extra but hey cue is to the right weight and tip size for my liking so better deal me thinks. craftsman i had before got run over by an EX mate of mine with his forklift. broke the butt and mini butt . still got the shaft so will keep it as spare incase the dozey so and so gets lead footed again Mart
                        Just my opinion, Craftsman is better than Peradon especially in this price range.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Peradon used to lacquer bottom and wax shaft of standard cues.
                          With custom cues more were all waxed.
                          In the last couple of years they seem to have waxed whole cue.

On average Craftsman are better then Peradon.
                          I have played with a couple of excellent Peradons though unfortunately the one I had was cack
                          Good thing about both of these cue makers is that you can try before you buy.

Comment

Knox,

I know what your saying about not sanding to the ferrule but i did anyways just because i could see the difference and it bugged me! But thats just me!

I think you'll be happy with the craftsman, i also have a craftsman and can't complain about anything on it especially for the price! Good Value for money i think!

Comment

Hello. I want to purchase a decent cue. Because we have available - Peradon Earl. In Russia it costs about 200 pounds. Do you think - is the right buying or worthwhile to consider the possibility of acquiring cues from other manufacturers?

Comment

Working...
                              X