Which cue is in better condition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which cue is in better condition?

When I play pool I use club's cue and there are many of them. Which is better quality? Maybe you will get what I want to say. Which tip is in better condition, that oval or that square form? I say it's better oval and my friends says it's better square. So how it is? Or it is indvidual choise?

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2455/cue.png

Oval... You will struggle to get any spin on a tip that isnt domed at all. think about the curvature of the ball a domed tip will have a large contact point than the square one, also you will be aiming more precisely at where you are hitting the cueball. I'll try and draw a pic now.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

How domed you make your tip will be personal preference. The problem with a lot of rack cues is the quality of tips used. It is much better to get your own cue and put a decent tip on and shape it how you like.
      If we talk about attempting to hit the white exactly at the point you are aiming, with the completely square tip you will actually be hitting higher on the white (using backspin) than you are aiming because the top of the tip will be hitting the white (vice versa for top spin). With a domed tip it will fit with the curvature of the white, increasing the contact area and you will be striking closer the the centre of the cue and where you are aiming.
      Attached Files
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Look here. http://www.billiard-online.com/forum...pic.php?t=3013
        I think, in Russian you know how to read

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
          How domed you make your tip will be personal preference. The problem with a lot of rack cues is the quality of tips used. It is much better to get your own cue and put a decent tip on and shape it how you like.
          If we talk about attempting to hit the white exactly at the point you are aiming, with the completely square tip you will actually be hitting higher on the white (using backspin) than you are aiming because the top of the tip will be hitting the white (vice versa for top spin). With a domed tip it will fit with the curvature of the white, increasing the contact area and you will be striking closer the the centre of the cue and where you are aiming.
          Yes totally agree - domed is the correct way. If you look at a new Elkmaster or Blue Diamond tip straight out of the box it's already slightly domes anyway, but a your excellent diagram shows, the more domed, the better particularly for screw-back shots. I always dome tips for my customers when re-tipping or re-shaping a tip on a new cue. You can get away with just removing the coating on a new tip, but that will only suffice for stun shots. My advice is St Pauls Cathedral - without the nipple!

Comment

Working...
          X