Round Butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round Butt?

Firstly, this thread is not about my gf!!

Im getting a new cue, gonna order it sometime soon.
    Just wondering, does anyone have a cue with a totally rounded butt?
    I never bother to hold the cue in the same place every time, and i sometimes find myself having to spin the cue as the "wedge" bit is not comfortable in my hand. Maybe im just looking for excuses, but think that it sometimes puts me off
    Highest Match Break - 77
    Highest Practice Break - 101, 106, 111
    Highest Breaks of 2010 - 76-65-62-61-60-60-59-57

Lots of people do this, you can specify this when you order with a cuemaker generally.
    Here for instance
    http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ght=round+butt
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I know that Jimmy White's cue has a rounded butt with no 'wedge'
      Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Hi,

I have a John Parris special & UT Elite in round butt for sale if your are interested.

Feel free to email me willysellcue@yahoo.com

Cheers

Comment

snooker butt wedge

About the wedge on the butt....just interested to know why the cue butt was flattened historically. One playing friend said the snooker cue once doubled as a mallet for a game similar to croquet, hence the wedge. Another friend mentioned that the cue can be laid flat on the table bed and slid under the cushion to make certain shots,(don't know how this could be effectively played). Or is it to accomodate the meaty part of the hand when following through with a shot helping to eliminate any tip movement off a straight line?

Comment

Originally Posted by Rob Singer View Post
            About the wedge on the butt....just interested to know why the cue butt was flattened historically. One playing friend said the snooker cue once doubled as a mallet for a game similar to croquet, hence the wedge. Another friend mentioned that the cue can be laid flat on the table bed and slid under the cushion to make certain shots,(don't know how this could be effectively played). Or is it to accomodate the meaty part of the hand when following through with a shot helping to eliminate any tip movement off a straight line?
            I believe the forerunner to the snooker cue was the mace, which was slid along the table (held the opposite way round to how we are accustomed) to basically shove the cue ball, so the flat allowed to cue to li on the table and slide.
            It certainly wouldn't be done today though and I think the flat is basically traditional and a good place to put a makers badge
            Whether you prefer the feel of a flat on the butt, or prefer a completely round butt is all up to you.

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
              I believe the forerunner to the snooker cue was the mace, which was slid along the table (held the opposite way round to how we are accustomed) to basically shove the cue ball, so the flat allowed to cue to li on the table and slide.
              It certainly wouldn't be done today though and I think the flat is basically traditional and a good place to put a makers badge
              Whether you prefer the feel of a flat on the butt, or prefer a completely round butt is all up to you.
              Not quite, but close (ish)...

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
                Not quite, but close (ish)...
                Correct me then

Comment

Aww mate, it's a bit compicated to explain this time of morning...

But an original mace was/is nothing like a cue really, and the flat edge/ chamfer on a cue was/is not for sliding across the table(by the time maces looked like cues as we now know today,the game had moved on, with better players not using the old style mace)...your confusing the flat/chamfer on a mace (which was used for sliding) with a flat/chamfer on a 'cue'.. 2 totally different things really......the early maces were totally different to the later mace 'cue' ....i dunno i'm confusing myself now, theres so many early variants it's hard to explain what i was trying to say......it's late i need sleep...
                  Forget it... your right...
                  Last edited by cally; 13 February 2010, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by whufcarl View Post

I never bother to hold the cue in the same place every time, and i sometimes find myself having to spin the cue as the "wedge" bit is not comfortable in my hand. Maybe im just looking for excuses, but think that it sometimes puts me off
                    Personal preferences. You dont see the same arrows line all the times, on Ash shaft, with round butt. One of my maple cues has round butt. Rest with flat-top.
                    It's in the Shaft

Comment

Thanks RG and Cally for the historical nuances of this great game. If anyone can suggest some good historical reading, it would be much appreciated.:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by whufcarl View Post

I've got an Osborne cue with a round butt. i Found that it fits nicely in your hand and you can spin the cue to exactly the same point to look down the Chevrons . Saying that i've just bought a TW cue with a flat and it does take a bit of getting used to again . I think it is just personal preference but i would not put anyone off of getting a round butt .
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Let me add a few unexpected side. Russian billiard cues, most have a round butt. With butt snooker format makes only one of the most expensive artists under the brand "Popovsky cue." These cues are the most famous players and just wealthy individuals. Players speak of comfort and ergonomic grip is as written above one of the forum: fleshy part of palm stands in its place.

Comment

I have a Trevor White 3/4/ made with a round butt. aBecause it was an Ash shaft with chevrons on the plate/disc side up which I prefer to use, I was constantly looking at the butt before playing the shotnd this distracted my concentration to no end. In short unless you are using a Maple shaft I would not recommend a round butt. I hope you can benefit from this comment
                            cuemad

Comment

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                              Personal preferences. You dont see the same arrows line all the times, on Ash shaft, with round butt. One of my maple cues has round butt. Rest with flat-top.
                              agree... not everyone get distract by the chevrons. Is up to the user

Comment

Working...
                              X