Maple or Ash cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple or Ash cue

I am having a very very hard time deciding whether or not I want a maple cue or an ash cue. I've tried both and both are wonderful but i still can't decide and it's really bugging me.

I guess here is what I have come down to so far

maple: no grainy look, very clean, can hit with different parts of the cue tip as there is usually no one side up (so maybe you would think less about whether the cue is in the right position), whippier so it's better for spins?

ash: stiffer, has grains for sighting? (i guess if they are perfectly straight) and probably the main reason is because most pros use ash.

I use a 55.5" cue so i don't know if that may be a factor. The reason why I'm having a hard time is because whatever I choose now, will probably be what i will be using for the rest of my life, so it feels like a huge commitment.
    maple
    43.14%
    ash
    56.86%

Get one of each test them both , keep the best and sell the other .

Comment

that would cost me a fortune

Comment

Then i suppose its betters to go with your heart and only you will know which is better suited to you .

I dont think its something someone can advise you on . I,ve used both , i prefer an ash cue , but have had some lovely playing maple ones aswell .

Comment

my heart is leaning on maple as they look really nice and clean and skateboards are also made out of maple wood and skateboarding is my first love.

but traditionally ash is the wood choice and many pros use ash so it feels kind of wrong going with maple...

sounds gay but yea...

Comment

Well i dont think its the best thing to go with something just because pros use them . You should do whats best for you , after all your the one using it .

Comment

well many pro's use maple as well, hendry, maguire etc

out of the 2 woods i'd say maple ages better, it turns that slightly darker colour. get a nice old maple you want to mate.

Comment

wayync

If you prefer maple, then buy a maple cue. You will be in good company as probably the best player ever, Stephen Hendry, always used a maple cue.
                :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
                  wayync

If you prefer maple, then buy a maple cue. You will be in good company as probably the best player ever, Stephen Hendry, always used a maple cue.
                  that is just one person tho, what about the rest!

Comment

Hendry, Maguire, Lee, Fu, McManus, Ebdon, Dale(sometimes).

Choose the one which you are most comfortable with. Believe in youeself and go with your heart. Playing snooker is a very personal thing afterall.

Comment

Yea I guess both types of wood play well...and it all comes down to preference. There have been world champions using ash as well as maple.....

but aesthetically speaking the winner has to be maple. I love the way the wood burls especially when you have a nice shiny coat on it with a dark rosewood butt, the contrast is so nice

Comment

Aesthetically speaking, i will prefer the ash as the chevrons & grains helps me during my sighting.

As for maple shaft, i like the smoothness while you stroke it along the bridge.

For i have highlighted in another thread that i prefer a cue shaft that is both responsive (low deflection) yet stiff. Till date, i can only find such shaft from old cues from JP.

Comment

Choosing a suitable shaft can enhance one's performance, so it's a big decision for anyone. Picking a shaft simply because it is more pleasing in your eyes will never make you a better player. You should put aside your buying decision and play with both for awhile to see which one you play better with seems to be more sensible.

Comment

Originally Posted by Straight strike View Post
                            Choosing a suitable shaft can enhance one's performance, so it's a big decision for anyone. Picking a shaft simply because it is more pleasing in your eyes will never make you a better player. You should put aside your buying decision and play with both for awhile to see which one you play better with seems to be more sensible.
                            But if you think you look good, then naturally you will play better as well

Comment

You are looking good, wayync! Go and play.

Comment

Working...
                              X