Addiction: Old 1 piece cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addiction: Old 1 piece cues

Seems I can not get over my addiction for old 1 piece cues.

Bought 2x Joe Davis Club cues, 1x "The Riley Cue", a Union Billiards ProMaster cue and have a Joe Davis 147 break cue on the way

I just enjoy it more playing with these "old" cues than with modern cues. Must be the thick taper and big tips that do it for me.

Bought some woods (snakewood, imbuia, ironwood, rhodesion teak, walnut, etc) for butt pieces and gave it to a local cue builder to make me two more new 1 piece maple cues to my own design ( with brass ferrels ) and looking forward to the results.

Anyone else with a love of old 1 piece cues? What do you have?

Welcome to the club..www.thecueguru.weebly.com
    http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

Jason Thanks for the link to your site. Lovely to see all those old cues.

Comment

Jason,

Thanks for the link. I am going to be spending a lot of time surfing your site.

I have done so many google searches and have never come accross it. This is going to be very helpful in identifying cues.

Cheers

:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Stick View Post
          ....I have done so many google searches and have never come accross it. This is going to be very helpful in identifying cues
          Have you come across this one ??
          http://www.thecuecollector.com/index.html

Comment

Yes thanks, another excellent site. I only came accross it on 27 August and immediately added it to my favourites.

Glad to see that there are so many excellent old cues about and such great collections. You guys in the UK are truly fortunate to have such a large number of different cues to choose from, as well as to have plentiful snooker associated services available.

To give you an idea, a old 1 piece cue that you will sell in the UK for 25 pounds will most probably fetch the equivalent of 90 odd pounds here (R1000.00) or more - that is if you are lucky enough to find one.

We may have the bush and the nice weather here in the "last outpost" but we haven't got many "old" cues of good quality floating around.

Comment

who is the local cuemaker you referred to stick

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                Have you come across this one ??
                http://www.thecuecollector.com/index.html
                Really interesting, I like how every cue has a little bit about it's history. It's a well put together site.

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
                  who is the local cuemaker you referred to stick

Aah, a fellow countryman. Glad to see you here.

It is a two-man operation, the person I know is Tewis. I think the brand is called "Blue Diamond" and they make their cues (various ranges) at their premises just outside Pretoria.

Got some really beautiful cues and interesting designs.

It's not perhaps your cue collection that was advertised for sale recently?

Cheers

Comment

Aah, a fellow countryman. Glad to see you here.

It is a two-man operation, the person I know is Tewis. I think the brand is called "Blue Diamond" and they make their cues (various ranges) at their premises just outside Pretoria.

Got some really beautiful cues and interesting designs.

It's not perhaps your cue collection that was advertised for sale recently?

Cheers
                    I never put my collection for sale at any time
                    1st time I ever heard of Blue Daimond cue brand in South Africa
                    you are right though. Very little choice in south Africa as far as cues go

i had a look at some of the cues of blue diamond that are advertised on the net, ordinary at best.

the only other cuemaker that i knew of in south africa was colin kemp who did good work when the mood took him but he is nowhere to be found.

here is the oldest cue that I have in my collection although now it is transformed from an originally machined spliced to a hand spliced cue
                    an old Joe Davis club cue
                    Last edited by sanman; 1 March 2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Nice Joe Davis

A cue collection recently went up for sale in Cape Town which is why I asked the question - check out Gumtree.

Time will tell, but I saw their top-end cues in person and liked it. I can not afford to import a premier quality cue from oversees and so decided to have a local company build me a cue. Better, in my view, than buying some of the junk available at our snooker shops today - i.e. Chinese rip-off John Parris cues and the like.

Will take some photo's when I receive them and report on how they play.

Comment

Nice Joe Davis

A cue collection recently went up for sale in Cape Town which is why I asked the question - check out Gumtree.

Time will tell, but I saw their top-end cues in person and liked it. I can not afford to import a premier quality cue from oversees and so decided to have a local company build me a cue. Better, in my view, than buying some of the junk available at our snooker shops today - i.e. Chinese rip-off John Parris cues and the like.

Will take some photo's when I receive them and report on how they play.
                        If you need a custom made cue let me have your details and I will email you back

i have quite a few available

Comment

Thanks, I will send you a mail

Comment

Working...
                          X