Cue Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue Advice needed

I have a unique problem with my cue, over 20 yrs ago I lost the use of my left arm. I now have what can only be described as an arm brace that holds my arm in several different positions. The arm has a locking mechanism at the wrist for holding tools, so I have a short aluminium rod bent to shape with a standard brass cross for playing snooker.
    My problem is that the brass is starting to wear a grove in my cue!!!
    I have had this problem in the past, but the cue’s I had then were only worth a few quid so it didn’t matter to much, and most of them were covered in a thick varnish so they lasted for years before there was any real wear. My new cue bought in January from Craftsman Cues cost too much to throw away, so has anyone got any idea what I can treat the cue with to protect it?
    And yes I have tried using a plastic cross instead of brass, it lasted about 4 frames before it snapped.

A " U " shaped section of polished stainless or steel with a polished chrome finish might work.If this was fitted to the two arms of your brass cross,the uppermost arms, the angle the cue sits in would be less severe,friction would be reduced or spread over a wider surface so less pressure would be placed on the cue in what would be your bridge hand.This is a bit "heath robinson" but might work.The angle of the "u" shaped section could be as shallow or acute as you wish.If it is just supporting the "bridge part of the cue then anything you can do to reduce friction but maintain accuracy will reduce wear and tear on the cue.Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi,

I play with a guy who lost his left arm in a car accident. He uses a little brass 'V' shaped device with a heavy brass foot to use for bridging. I can have a word with him and get a pic if you like? He has used his cue for years and there is no wear. Would you like me to get some extra information. I also believe ADR knows a chap..not sure, so he might be able to help.

Dan
      sigpic <---New Website
      Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

I was expecting advice about how to protect the cue with some sort of polish or wax, but this is good stuff.
        Thank you both for some great ideas and if you can get pictures that would be even better.

Comment

cue wear

we had a couple of blokes play in the sheffield league who only had 1 arm they use to play by the sound of things with similar item as dan as said a v shaped rest on a round weight and they moved it around with the end of the cue both players were of good standard i think befor they lost there arms so the rest as such was not a problem

Comment

Working...
          X