Is this the same or what ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the same or what ?

Just been looking at Mike's site dreaming about new cues as you do , when i came across this custom Shark cue,
    http://www.handmadecues.com/zen/imag...hite-1_LRG.jpg

Now does this not look identical to one of my cues, badged Welsh Pool Trading, but was later told it was actually made by Mastercraft. Maybe it was made by Mike ? or does Mastercraft make cues for Mike too?? so many questions

Last edited by jrc750; 31 July 2011, 11:20 AM.

Mike did some similar butterfly spliced shark style cues for Welsh Pool Trading a few years back, and so did Mastercraft not butterfly spliced but in the same design, i think this design was a welsh pool design in there chosen colours hence the reason they are the same style.

This design has been popular for years known as the humbug design on old joe davis cues.

No doubt Mike will correct me if i've got anything wrong.

Comment

That is an old traditional design, not originated by Welsh or Mike. It is called a Humbug or something like that.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I bought one from Welsh Pool Trading, they called it their "Welsh Dragon" design ... I think I'll continue calling it that - my friends already laugh at my play enough without me admitting I play with a "humbug" cue LOL ...

Thanks for the information though

Comment

Its a great cue, and came at a bargain price, but a little short for me at 57", so my mate uses it every time we play.
          Calling it a "humbug" is sweet tho

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Calling it a "humbug" is sweet tho
            I don't think so jrc ... I can see all my friends doing a chorus of "bah" every time I get down to take a shot and "humbug" every time I miss ... maybe I've just got the wrong type of friends LOL ...

Comment

I believe, and please correct me if I am wrong, "humbug" does not only refer to this particular colour combination, but many different kinds of colour combination with vertical stripes.
              A few months ago a JP Mannock with a "humbug" front was sold for over 1000 GBP on ebay. The front face featured vertical stripes that were brown and beige or something like that.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Correct, nothing to do with colour combination just the style of the front splice whatever colour it is, just because it looks like a humbug sweet with the stripes.

It was first seen on Old Joe Davis & Sidney Smith Cues and the splices were black and white ( ebony/maple ) on these......so even more like a humbug.......lol
                Last edited by CueAntW147; 1 August 2011, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Humbug wirth red/green stripes eh...lol

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
                    Eh? I'm missing something here ... I like the ones with the tan stripes better...
                    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

lol.....what have i started here mentioning " humbug "........actuallly weren't most of the sweet humbugs tan & brown, not had one for years.

But to be fair i wasn't keen on the outside.......just wanted to get to the soft toffee centre.......;-)

As for the cue splice we had best just say " in the humbug style " no probs whatever colour then.......lol

ps might be worth getting in touch with a sweet company though multi-coloured humbugs could be the next great thing......!!

Comment

Genuine Humbugs...

Camaracum Humbugs.jpg
                        When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                          lol.....what have i started here mentioning " humbug "........actuallly weren't most of the sweet humbugs tan & brown, not had one for years.

But to be fair i wasn't keen on the outside.......just wanted to get to the soft toffee centre.......;-)
                          I aint had a humbug for years either, i'm gonna buy some from the 'old sweet shop' in town tomoz cant remember what they taste like....lol..

Well apparently humbugs aint just tan/brown, black/white these daze then.

Love retro or what...
                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/750g-Jenny...item4aacad460a

Last edited by cally; 1 August 2011, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I aint had a humbug for years either, i'm gonna buy some from the 'old sweet shop' in town tomoz cant remember what they taste like....lol..

Well apparently humbugs aint just tan/brown, black/white these daze then.

Love retro or what...

blimey.......looks like we're miles behind the times then mate.......lol

the ones in second link look similar to the colours to the cue splice in the pic JRC put up to kick this thread off.....( but she ain't sold any.....lol ) so it is now the " Retro Humbug design "

enjoy your humbugs ( whatever colour you get ! ) :-)
                            Last edited by CueAntW147; 1 August 2011, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Saw a few Sidney Smith with the humbug face before.
                              Does anyone know is there a special reason why this desgin was used or how it originated?
                              Did it go by another name before?
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X