Steamed pearwood shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steamed pearwood shaft

May I know which cuemaker/brand still offering steamed pearwood shaft ( except Keith Auld & Dan Shelton)

I think dragon cues do
    last time i looked at their website they were also
    doing hickory

Comment

By the way, Keith Auld is now making cues under the name "Auld and Jones."
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Mick Dundee View Post
        I think dragon cues do
        last time i looked at their website they were also
        doing hickory
        Thank you
        I will will look at their website.

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
          By the way, Keith Auld is now making cues under the name "Auld and Jones."
          Never choose his cue

Comment

airin would u being trying a pearwood shaft cue at any stage?

Comment

It might be worth reading Mike's last post in this thread......

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...s-tacky./page6

That could be your answer there.....!!
              Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
              Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                It might be worth reading Mike's last post in this thread......

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...s-tacky./page6

That could be your answer there.....!!
                I want to know where can I get it...... not ask for this wood is good or not

Comment

I see, sorry I misunderstood your opening post!!
                  Last edited by coomsey76; 2 August 2011, 12:20 PM.
                  Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                  Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by jay_j View Post
                    airin would u being trying a pearwood shaft cue at any stage?
                    No Jay. I tried this, and also pearwood shafts by other makers and in my personal opinion it is not a shaft that can play the full range of shot with good feedback and response as well as maple or ash. As playability is my #1 concern and priority when building a cue I will not be offering this material. I think it makes for a good collectable piece, but I do not wish to make a cue that I know in my heart will only look good but not play well to the standard I expect.
                    Perhaps there is a good reason we have never seen top snooker on TV being played with a pearwood shaft.
                    Thank you.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

No Jay. I tried this, and also pearwood shafts by other makers and in my personal opinion it is not a shaft that can play the full range of shot with good feedback and response as well as maple or ash. As playability is my #1 concern and priority when building a cue I will not be offering this material. I think it makes for a good collectable piece, but I do not wish to make a cue that I know in my heart will only look good but not play well to the standard I expect.
                      Perhaps there is a good reason we have never seen top snooker on TV being played with a pearwood shaft.
                      Thank you.
                      good to hear ive never seen or played with a pearwood shafted cue so i didn't know this sorry but i don't think i could buy a cue that i couldn't play with anyway as there plenty of collectible cues out there that still have good playablity

Comment

Thank you.
                        Not necessarily. Pearwood shafts are a bit whippy, but can play the whole range of shots you want. Dad has got a steamed pearwood cannon match cue (pics in my profile and post pics of your cue thread) that is as good as any cue I've ever seen. It can play every shot you would ever need to. I can't get on with it as it's a bit light for me (16 1/2 oz) but he has never had a problem with it. He was one of the top players in the city for years, and played division 1 for over 35 years.
                        As long as you make the cue well (which I'm certain airin would), there wouldn't be a problem. The shaft is perfectly smooth, and never sticky, no matter what. The main reason cue makers stopped using it is it takes a lot longer to dry to the correct moisture level required to make a cue. If it isn't dried with a lot of weight on it, it warps. A LOT!! the cue makers didn't want to have such an expensive wood tied up for so long and not be able to use it. (costs being the main reason) any cue made in pearwood (as long as it is well made) is just as good (if not better) playability wise than ash or maple.
                        I think Airin could make a phenomenal cue from pearwood, and would like to see it!
                        Last edited by deant1982; 2 August 2011, 07:27 PM. Reason: Bad spelling = naughty word by accident!
                        If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
                          Not necessarily. Pearwood shafts are a bit whippy, but can play the whole range of shots you want. Dad has got a steamed pearwood cannon match cue (pics in my profile and post pics of your cue thread) that is as good as any cue I've ever seen. It can play every shot you would ever need to. I can't get on with it as it's a bit light for me (16 1/2 oz) but he has never had a problem with it. He was one of the top players in the city for years, and played division 1 for over 35 years.
                          As long as you make the cue well (which I'm certain airin would), there wouldn't be a problem. The shaft is perfectly smooth, and never sticky, no matter what. The main reason cue makers stopped using it is it takes a lot longer to dry to the correct moisture level required to make a cue. If it isn't dried with a lot of weight on it, it warps. A LOT!! the cue makers didn't want to have such an expensive wood tied up for so long and not be able to use it. (costs being the main reason) any cue made in pearwood (as long as it is well made) is just as good (if not better) playability wise than ash or maple.
                          I think Airin could make a phenomenal cue from pearwood, and would like to see it!
                          Warpage is not really my concern. I have a lot wood in the shop that has been kiln dried for a very long time. It is just that as I said, it was my opinion that it was not the best choice of shaft wood as I already explained--but that is my opinion and you are entitled to disagree.:-)

In my opinion as a cue maker, ash and maple are much better choice as shaft woods. It is not just because we as cue makers are concerned about cost as you suggested. We use a lot of wood that are much more expensive than pearwood. My maple cues are built with timeless timber old growth maple which cost quite a bit more than pearwood shafts.

As a cue maker, I take a lot of integrity in my work. And if I feel that a certain choice of shaft wood would not offer the playability up to my standards then I will not offer it.

If you want to have a cue made with a pearwood shaft because your father is playing great with it or for whatever reason you are more than welcome to get someone who offers this option to build you a cue. May be they know something I don't and I have no problem with that whatsoever. Have you asked Mike Wooldridge?

There have been many cues made with pearwood, hickory and hornbeam shafts in the old days. Nevertheless, all great snooker I have ever watched on TV were played with ash or maple shafts. As a matter of fact, I have never seen or even heard of any top players using a cue with a pearwood shaft.

If you just want a cue to feel smooth you can get that from an ash or maple cue, no need to get a pearwood shaft just for that.

As I said, you are entitled to disagree and I am not writing what I am writing trying to convince you otherwise. I was just trying to answer Jay's question.
                          Last edited by poolqjunkie; 2 August 2011, 08:31 PM.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Airin,I have played with three pearwood shafted cues,a Robin,a Mannock and a Camkin.In my personal opinion they all make good English pool cues and perhaps this is because of the difference in weight between pool and snooker balls.On an English table they play great and will play any shot you want,but pearwood cues are not to everyones taste.Incidentally the Camkin pear was owned by a snooker player of note who played in Essex clubs when Ronnie was a boy.Steve Davis used to visit the club and Alex even played a frame against him so maybe pear of the right density and taper can work.In general I would agree with you and say,not for snooker,but "one mans meat is another mans poison" as the saying goes and playability is a very subjective matter and very personal to the individual player.

Comment

If you want to have a cue made with a pearwood shaft because your father is playing great with it
                              ha ha. He can't even beat me nowadays! He did used to use it pretty well though. If I could get on with the wider butt and lighter weight, he would be retiring altogether really soon!

Have you asked Mike Wooldridge?
                              I saw his post in my thread about making my cue tacky. Don't think he'll be doing me one in pearwood any time soon, seeing as he thinks it is crap! Lol

End of the day Airin, you make beautiful cues. It is your prerogative to use what woods you see fit and are happy to put your name to. It doesn't matter what I, Joe bloggs, John Doe or anyone else think wood you should use. From what I understand, yours are top drawer cues, so you must be doing something right. If you don't feel pearwood plays well and are not comfortable putting your reputation on them, fair play to you. I know some other cue makers (mentioning no names) wouldn't care. They would make a cue from anything you ask them too, then hide behind "I made it exactly as you ordered", whether it played well or not.
                              As you say, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and ours differ on the playability of pearwood.
                              If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Working...
                              X