No announcement yet.

Advice for new cue (£150 - £200 budget)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for new cue (£150 - £200 budget)

Hi folks,

I'm hoping some of the experts on here can help me to make a decision on a shiny new cue

I'm currently using a 3/4 "stock" Rileys cue that I bought about 10 years ago. I've not really been bothered by it as I've only played casually over that time but I've recently started playing league snooker and the more time I spend with the cue the less comfortable I am with it. As a result I'd like to purchase something new and I can spend somewhere in the £150 - £200 budget range. From the threads I've read here it looks like there are quite a few possibilities, a number of which have caught my eye:

Mastercraft - Prince, Conquest or Dictator
    Mastercue - Pro-Butt 1 or 4
    Craftsman - Panther or 147
    Phoenix - Unity 9 Hand spliced cue

I've never used any of these cues and I appreciate this is all very subjective but do you have any advice on which to choose? Also, how do you go about deciding on weight, length, tip size without being able to try them out, are there any rules of thumb?

Finally, it seems tips have moved on a lot since I last bough some Elkmasters, are the new multi-layered Talisman/Phoenix/Kamui worth upgrading to?

Really appreciate any advice you may have and any time you spend replying,

Cheers,

John

Several options. Try to go to craftsman cues near leeds or green baize (not sure where it is) as they have loads for you to choose from and you can have a feel (oh er!). Alternatively, a mw shark is sighing your budget, and they are very good...
    Another option is a Britannia cue from ADR147 (if he's got any left). They look good and I've seen a few people play with them.
    Andy travis is another option...
    Tips are personal preference. I prefer laminated/layered but some people prefer the pressed tips. If you get a good elk you're set but too many duff ones for my liking. Laminated tips are a lot harder and react differently to pressed tips. When you get a cue experiment with the tip until you find a winning combination.
    Choices choices too many choices!!
    Good luck.
    Last edited by deant1982; 17 March 2012, 09:07 PM. Reason: Forgot about the tips
    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

John, I think you've done a really good job to come up with a budget and short-list. A lot of folks come on and post on here with no idea at all. Its hard to decide what spec you need without a bit of trial and error so if you can visit Craftsman and try a few cues out it would be great. If you can't then just go for something standard. 3/4 Ash. Length 57-58". Weight 17.5-18.0 ozs. Tip 9.5-10mm.
      I think Mastercraft are taking a bit long to complete orders so if you're in a hurry best try elsewhere. I bought a Craftsman Century with the splicing like the Elite. Nice cue but I've moved back to a C-brand in Maple from Thailand. A friend of mine has a Phoenix. Nice cue but I don't like the spiroloc joints. Haven't tried Mastercue.
      Don't know anything about tips I'm afraid. Was a lifelong Elk man. Stuck a MW supertip on a few months ago. Only difference I noticed was that it holds the chalk better. Didn't help my cue ball control.
      Good luck. let us know what you decide.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice so far, as I say much appreciated

I think the Shark from MW may be a good option, more than anything I'm looking for a quality cue that is made well, plays well and 'feels' right and this looks like it fits all requirements. Awaiting authorisation from Mike and then may place an order once I've got prices etc. The MW tips look like they may be the right option for me too, at least initially, I'll get some of the multi-layered ones and try them out in the off season!

Cheers,

John

Comment

Hi John Welcome to The Snooker Forum, my advice for somebody who isnt 100% sure on a Cue is go and Try a Few first as you could Buy Cue apon Cue like we have all done in the past and that can work out very expensive!

Mike Wooldridge Super Tips are very good they seem as they have been on awhile when first fitted and it doesnt take you hours to knock them in like most other tips on the market.

Gaz.

Comment

Originally Posted by johncorleone View Post
            Hi folks,

I'm hoping some of the experts on here can help me to make a decision on a shiny new cue

I'm currently using a 3/4 "stock" Rileys cue that I bought about 10 years ago. I've not really been bothered by it as I've only played casually over that time but I've recently started playing league snooker and the more time I spend with the cue the less comfortable I am with it. As a result I'd like to purchase something new and I can spend somewhere in the £150 - £200 budget range. From the threads I've read here it looks like there are quite a few possibilities, a number of which have caught my eye:

Mastercraft - Prince, Conquest or Dictator
            Mastercue - Pro-Butt 1 or 4
            Craftsman - Panther or 147
            Phoenix - Unity 9 Hand spliced cue

I've never used any of these cues and I appreciate this is all very subjective but do you have any advice on which to choose? Also, how do you go about deciding on weight, length, tip size without being able to try them out, are there any rules of thumb?

Finally, it seems tips have moved on a lot since I last bough some Elkmasters, are the new multi-layered Talisman/Phoenix/Kamui worth upgrading to?

Really appreciate any advice you may have and any time you spend replying,

Cheers,

John
            all the cues are decent and good value for money as are the britannia's i have one steel and 4 normal left i think.

as for tips the big advantage with a layered tip is how long they last and that you can change it to another that will feel exactly the same, the downsides are it makes a different sound that take a bit of getting used to and they are generally hard. as for cue specs as long as you are not 6'8" or something then go for a standard cue ie 57-58" 9.5mm and 17.5-18.5 oz
            Last edited by ADR147; 18 March 2012, 11:43 AM.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

John MW Shark would be a great choice if you can stick to the standard. If you want to start fiddling with length, weight etc it can get a bit expensive. Don't forget you'll need to budget for a case and perhaps extensions.

Comment

You've got the coolest last name John...

I've tried the cue brands in your shortlist except for Craftsman cues which I've yet to have an opportunity to. I'd choose Mastercue as I think they offer good value for money. Pretty consistent quality too, imo.

Laminated tips usually come in a few grades of hardness; soft, medium and hard. If you are thinking of using a laminated tip for the first time, you may want to start with the soft ones.

Cheers...
                When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I have a mw shark, and would highly reccommend them.

When I got it I didn't suddenly start getting centuries, the cue wont do that only practise will but its just a real pleasure to play with it and i've had many 50+ breaks so far.

Don't dismiss the elk, in my opinion they're good tips.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                    John MW Shark would be a great choice if you can stick to the standard. If you want to start fiddling with length, weight etc it can get a bit expensive. Don't forget you'll need to budget for a case and perhaps extensions.
                    It appears that all the lower price Shark cues are sold out, just wondering if M.W. will be making some more in the near future.

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
                      It appears that all the lower price Shark cues are sold out, just wondering if M.W. will be making some more in the near future.
                      Aye, I've just got access to the MW shop and can confirm the entry level are all sold out. There is a deluxe Maple but with a change to 3/4 and extensions it totally blows my budget. If it was in Ash I would still be tempted though ;-) Given that, it looks like it will be one of the cues above instead. As per the advice in the thread I will try and get some time off work and head to Craftsman to try them out!

Comment

Originally Posted by johncorleone View Post
                        Aye, I've just got access to the MW shop and can confirm the entry level are all sold out. There is a deluxe Maple but with a change to 3/4 and extensions it totally blows my budget. If it was in Ash I would still be tempted though ;-) Given that, it looks like it will be one of the cues above instead. As per the advice in the thread I will try and get some time off work and head to Craftsman to try them out!
                        I am in the same mind as you I would be tempted with the basic ash at £175 plus and 3/4/ con = £250 is my budget limit/ even the Pro Ash £250 with 3/4 con = £ 325 as you say would be very tempting however all the rest are out of my league.

Comment

When is Mike Wooldridge going to start making the the Shark lower priced cues again ? all the cues within the budget of us lower mortals are sold out.

Comment

Not all are sold out yet. After you login, follow the instructions on screen, click cues, click shark cues. The Olivewood and Deluxe Maple seem to be still available.

http://www.handmadecues.com/zen/inde...roducts_id=419
                            http://www.handmadecues.com/zen/inde...roducts_id=431
                            Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                            My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...dy-travis-cues

this is in budget.

Comment

Working...
                              X