Would this make a better cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this make a better cue?

Would a cue, made from a single piece of quality wood from tip to butt and having no joints or splices, out perform a similar cue with an ebony butt, on average. After all, there is less that can go wrong . It should also be much cheaper. I don't know if the weight is that important.

It would only be a better cue if the person played better with it.
    The thing is with cues, you can get the best wood perfect splices and whatever else you like bit ultimately it comes down to whatever suits the individual.
    Remember Alan McManus's old cue. At one point it was held together with blue tack and tape and it was already a cheap cue.
    "Don't think, feel"

Comment

The butt is only a decorative thing.

When talking about 3/4 cues, the butt will be solid ebony or splice wood requested on the order so it will affect the weight / balance which needs to be right.

If talking about one piece cues,

A cue maker could build you a one piece cue with no butt splices which can feel really nice, be expertly finished and play very well.

The only thing missing is the decorative splicings. the balance, finish etc can all be determined from one solid piece of ash / maple.

The benefit to having exotic woods for the butt is they feel much nicer in your hand than ash.

Plain maple shaft is still a nice feeling wood.
      Last edited by jaffa.johnson; 22 May 2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I think Peradon still sell a 1pc Ash with no different wood butt and splicing.
        A friend has an old Cannon ash that has no "butt" woods, it does have a 3/4 joint which is a very short 8" butt. plays very well.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          I think Peradon still sell a 1pc Ash with no different wood butt and splicing.
          I have had a couple of these are decent enough.

Although, I am sure they are machine made and from china.

The quality of shaft, feel or finish would be far superior should a cue maker make you one.

That said, nice value for money.

Comment

it's about weight though one piece of ash not spliced or weighted at all would be very light.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

And a nightmare to balance after weight is added i imagine...

Comment

Working...
              X