What Cue did Joe Davis use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by narl View Post
    Nothing back from thurstons yet, time to start sending the same email to any of their other email addresses i can find.
    Narl, Im off work tomorrow so I am going down to the museum to try and get some info and maybe even sneak a few pics of the cue in question...watch this space.......
    You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by fred.england View Post
      Narl, Im off work tomorrow so I am going down to the museum to try and get some info and maybe even sneak a few pics of the cue in question...watch this space.......
      Be interesting if you could, dissapointing they seem to ignore emails

Comment

Any luck.

If not go back at night with a crowbar and balaclava and steel the dam thing. Only Joking

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
          Any luck.

If not go back at night with a crowbar and balaclava and steel the dam thing. Only Joking
          lol caz........only posted today......im going tomorrow.......

Comment

It'll be on ebay next week. lo

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
              It'll be on ebay next week. lo
              I am a scouser after all......I could easily nick it......place your bids on here....lol

Comment

I am a scouser after all......I could easily nick it......place your bids on here....lol
                God I hope you didn't take it that why still I start with a fiver, their still wet mind.

Comment

Somewhat suprisingly got a response back this morning:

As the cue and balls are in the display cabinet which use to hang in the Eccentic Club it is not possible to get a decent picture due to the reflection of the glass.
                  The cue would I estimate have an 11mm tip. it is hand spliced ebony on an ash shaft and doesn't have any veneers. Given its age I would think it would be quite a light cue probably 16 or 16 1/2 oz.
                  An impenetrable case it would seem,

Find it a bit odd that they say the cue has no veneer when in the 2 books it clearly shows a thin maple veneer and possibly a face splice of a different type of wood. Makes me wonder what cue they actually have as from what i recall davis had 1 cue stolen, then he aquired the one he used for most of his career which was stolen then recovered.

Comment

Somewhat suprisingly got a response back this morning:

An impenetrable case it would seem,

Find it a bit odd that they say the cue has no veneer when in the 2 books it clearly shows a thin maple veneer and possibly a face splice of a different type of wood. Makes me wonder what cue they actually have as from what i recall davis had 1 cue stolen, then he aquired the one he used for most of his career which was stolen then recovered.

dunno about stolen, but in his bio he said his first cue had since he was a child, became warped and unusable due to him putting a wet cloth in his case due to being in a rush to attend a snooker match. And the one he got later from a gentleman he saw playing with it, he played his career out with it.

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
                      dunno about stolen, but in his bio he said his first cue had since he was a child, became warped and unusable due to him putting a wet cloth in his case due to being in a rush to attend a snooker match. And the one he got later from a gentleman he saw playing with it, he played his career out with it.
                      The thing about the cue stolen was from an article online, i assume it was using excerpts from his biography:

http://www.stephen-hendry.com/index....k-of-them-all/

The odd thing is though if the cue that thurstons has doesnt have a veneer then what cue do they have? It shows it plain as day in those 2 books.

Comment

The thing about the cue stolen was from an article online, i assume it was using excerpts from his biography:

http://www.stephen-hendry.com/index....k-of-them-all/

The odd thing is though if the cue that thurstons has doesnt have a veneer then what cue do they have? It shows it plain as day in those 2 books.
                        your right mate, just couldnt remember reading that part. wonder if the cue is displayed with plate facing to the wall? then the butt would just looks plain ?

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
                          your right mate, just couldnt remember reading that part. wonder if the cue is displayed with plate facing to the wall? then the butt would just looks plain ?
                          Possible i suppose, bit annoying that they woldn't take it out of the case to get more accurate specs of it and possibly take some pictures. Can see a good bit of it in the books but be interesting to see some colour hi res pics of it.

Comment

What Cue did Joe Davis use?

Yes it's a bit odd that they would'nt take it out for a look. You would think a great historian of snooker would also have the cue specs in his records.hmmm.

Comment

Originally Posted by paddybhoy30 View Post
                              Yes it's a bit odd that they would'nt take it out for a look. You would think a great historian of snooker would also have the cue specs in his records.hmmm.
                              Indeed, would be interesting to find out the specifics of it but as long as its in that impregnable glass case ( ) (assuming thats even the right cue) then we won't ever know.

Comment

11mm tip heavy cloth, the man was a genius.

Comment

Working...
                                X