Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change the WEIGHT of a cue.

Hi everyone it s been a while.
    can anyone advise of how to change the weight of a cue DIY style?
    if you can please forward the relevant info, and if possible some pictorial explanations to accompany them?
    Cheers

not advisable to do this DIY style mate, as the weight may need drilling out which can be a complicated job for the non cuemaker.
    get a cue doctor to due it, not expensive.

Comment

Lathe required my friend! Almost impossible to drill up free hand!
      Also you need to find out how far up the original lead is and therefore may need
      Long drill bits!

Comment

plus it might not be lead sometimes metal bar and when you drill can split the butt need a lathe mate

Comment

there are also issues regarding weight distribution and balance of cues

Comment

About as sensible as fixing toothache by doing your own fillings!

Comment

The other problem you will have is trying to find out how the cue plays with the additional weight and exactly what weight you want the cue to be. One thing that worked well for me is to buy some lead tape online. The tape is silvery on one side and sticky on the other and is usually used on golf clubs and tennis rackets.

Find the balance point of your cue as it is now and then wrap some lead tape evenly on each side of the balance point. A set of electronic scales helps too as you can start by adding whatever weight you want and then adding or subtracting by adding or removing tape.

Once you settle on your ideal weight send the cue to a cue doctor and have him to weight up the cue to the weight you want.

This way you get to experiment easily with different weights however leaving the tape on there will make the cue look pretty crappy and also might catch on your shirt if you have the cue tight against the chest. I covered the lead tape with some duct tape to keep it smooth while I was testing out the cue weighting to avoid it catching on my shirt.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Jellibeen69 View Post
                Hi everyone it s been a while.
                can anyone advise of how to change the weight of a cue DIY style?
                if you can please forward the relevant info, and if possible some pictorial explanations to accompany them?
                Cheers
                B & Q do cheap saws and no more nails,only joking bud, do you need the cue lighter or heavier, as the cue got a weight in it already,how would the cue be after the alteration,as the earlier posts have mentioned it is more than a DIY job, costs nothing to get in touch with a cue maker and inquire, hope you get sorted.

Comment

Dave Coutts isn't far from you and it says on his websites he does it from £10. I'd personally go to see him. http://www.couttscues.co.uk/repairsandalterations.html
                  "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

yeh, I know Couttsy quite well. But the favour is for a associate of mine. Only problem is Coutts is 30 miles away, an difficult for him to get to. cheers

Comment

Does anyone here know of someone in Devon or nearby, who could reweight a cue that already has a weight inside, and maintain the cue balance? The reason I ask is because I still really like JRC's Purist but it's only 17.5oz which is 2.5oz light for me.
                      Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

i think you will find that the purist is weighted by a metal bar inside ,difficult to drill through because you would want the weight abit higher than existing weight to keep balance same,you have to drill in using smaller drills and until you get to the size of the round bar which might be 1/2 ins dia

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                          i think you will find that the purist is weighted by a metal bar inside ,difficult to drill through because you would want the weight abit higher than existing weight to keep balance same,you have to drill in using smaller drills and until you get to the size of the round bar which might be 1/2 ins dia
                          I see what you mean Jim, a tricky, and messy job. Be easy to go offline with even a cobalt bit and mess up the wood inside. Ah. Another solution is to drill direct into the butt from outside, but the varnish and ebony would be destroyed and it would look awful. Damn.
                          Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                            ... because I still really like JRC's Purist but it's only 17.5oz which is 2.5oz light for me.
                            Sorry mate, in this fast paced world it's sold

Comment

Working...
                            X