Neil Robertson new cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Robertson new cue?

Just watching Robertson vs Murphy in the PL and he looks to be using a new cue. Definitely is a different butt end to his normal cue, looks to be a lighter coloured wood, 4 splices of what looks like Olivewood but haven't had a good close up shot yet. Shaft grain looks darker too, perhaps a few players are looking to change cues after seeing what Higgins achieved last week.

That's weird I'm a fan of his old cue shaft wise!
    Was very similar to an old hunt I used to have which I still to this day
    Regret selling!
    Robbos was so similar!

Comment

Thought you were going to say that you had made him one and he was using it!
      He doesn't look very convincing with it so far.

Comment

Originally Posted by raymo147 View Post
        That's weird I'm a fan of his old cue shaft wise!
        Was very similar to an old hunt I used to have which I still to this day
        Regret selling!
        Robbos was so similar!
        I'm surprised too. I had the impression that he loved his old cue, but remember him saying that he'd taken steps to make sure he's covered if something happened to his main playing cue. I wonder if he's trading in a bit of his famed cue power for something that makes it easier to control the white in the balls?
        Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

I don't know the reason but there is a growing trend that seems many players are now changing cues, possibly its a motivational thing. I doubt that Higgins old cue had seen its last day, but as he had a bad season last year he probably felt that using a new cue will motivate him to get back on the practice table as you have to do when adapting to a new cue. Ronnie has won tournaments with a new cue in the past, Maguire seems to be back in form after numerous changes over the last couple of seasons, even Steve Davis after years with his old cue has had a big change in weight and found some good form.

As for the cue well I saw a couple of close up shots and its definitely a Parris and it is in the same design as the superior model, whether its a stock cue or made to measure we'll have to wait and see, though IMO even if a pro uses a stock cue, JP would probably alter it and stick an Ultimate badge on it. I didn't see the end of the match so don't know the score but like Higgins last week, Robertson seemed to struggle a bit with it. If nothing has happened to his old cue I expect him to revert back to it before long.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
            Just watching Robertson vs Murphy in the PL and he looks to be using a new cue. Definitely is a different butt end to his normal cue, looks to be a lighter coloured wood, 4 splices of what looks like Olivewood but haven't had a good close up shot yet. Shaft grain looks darker too, perhaps a few players are looking to change cues after seeing what Higgins achieved last week.
            What Higgins achieved? I think Ronnie changed fewer cues than anybody else including Maguire in the last 3 years and managed to win trophies with each of them. I dont think its a cue it is just motivation to practice more because you have a new cue. Cue action what is made Higgins win.

Comment

Yes obviously Higgins talent is more important than the cue he used but the change of cue will no doubt have motivated him to practice more and thus it translated itself into his performance and subsequently played terrific in the final with a maximum along the way. If you read my last post you will see that I said exactly this.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                I don't know the reason but there is a growing trend that seems many players are now changing cues, possibly its a motivational thing. I doubt that Higgins old cue had seen its last day, but as he had a bad season last year he probably felt that using a new cue will motivate him to get back on the practice table as you have to do when adapting to a new cue. Ronnie has won tournaments with a new cue in the past, Maguire seems to be back in form after numerous changes over the last couple of seasons, even Steve Davis after years with his old cue has had a big change in weight and found some good form.

As for the cue well I saw a couple of close up shots and its definitely a Parris and it is in the same design as the superior model, whether its a stock cue or made to measure we'll have to wait and see, though IMO even if a pro uses a stock cue, JP would probably alter it and stick an Ultimate badge on it. I didn't see the end of the match so don't know the score but like Higgins last week, Robertson seemed to struggle a bit with it. If nothing has happened to his old cue I expect him to revert back to it before long.
                There could be a lot of good reasons for wanting to change cues that we wouldn't know about unless the players tell us themselves. It's also possible that this one hasn't been made recently but is a spare that Neil's kept on the side.
                Last edited by eaoin11; 28 September 2012, 08:56 AM.
                Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

ive seen neils's cue tonight , upclose, and can confirm its a parris ultimate in the style of the superior ( olive wood splicing)

this was at the northern snooker centre where he was doing an exhibition. great night enjoyed it. top guy neil, had pic and ball signed

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
                    ive seen neils's cue tonight , upclose, and can confirm its a parris ultimate in the style of the superior ( olive wood splicing)

this was at the northern snooker centre where he was doing an exhibition. great night enjoyed it. top guy neil, had pic and ball signed
                    I like that u can confirm that it's an ultimate , could be a stock one too , check this one :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOHN-PARRI...1288......that shaft can be anytime an ultimate for some of us

Comment

Originally Posted by calin View Post
                      I like that u can confirm that it's an ultimate , could be a stock one too , check this one :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOHN-PARRI...1288......that shaft can be anytime an ultimate for some of us

sorry what i should of said was i can confirm the badge was an ultimate,.......... but to be fare the shaft did look quite special, even spaced arrows dark ash. cant really see john parris letting a pro play with any rack cue to be honest, he will see to it they get the best. lol that cue on ebay wouldnt be classed with an ultimate, also no where near come close to robbos.

Comment

Just to ask, from what I saw in the PL and compard to previous tournaments, it looks to be the same cue and not a new one to me.
                        A JPU with the butt in the design of a Superior.
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

in my opinion it looks a different cue, shaft wise

Comment

I noticed straight away against Murphy he was using a new cue. Also I'm never wrong!!!

Comment

Same here, that is when I was watching I thought something was different but (sad I know) I looked at an older youtube clip (2011) and it did not appear to be much different.
                              So has Neil got a new cue but with the same butt design?
                              I vaguely remember a story that his cue was previously his dad's and was lengthened by Peter Hanley, was this the previous cue or an older one?
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X