How long for a new cue to feel right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for a new cue to feel right?

After using the same cue for 12 years, with countless repairs on the way,my trusty old laurel is finished. When it was made 30 years ago,my old man had a bob aker joint put in above the splices,which made the cue feel different to anything else on a snooker table. However,the shaft split many moons ago and has been deteriorating for a while. So I thought,time for a new cue. what a nightmare. Nothing feels right, I've tried 4 different cues from different makers, all same spec as the old cue. I've gone from consistent 60s,70s to not able to string a 30 together in 2 months! Now,I know I'm not the first person to go through this,so from other peoples personal experience,how long have you got to give a cue?Is it love at first sight,or have you got to plough through the s**t?Cos I've been finding it hard to stay enthusiastic about one after not liking it immediately!Any input would be greatly appreciated

I'm afraid its the pitfall of using a cue which is different to many others on the market today. Joints, particularly like the Bob Ackers one are going to give quite a unique hit and is probably the reason why many cues you've tried have just not suited you. The longer you use a cue, the more difficult it is to adapt to another from my experience.

I think what you have to get into your head is you are never going to find another cue that plays like your old one. I think this is the prime mistake or reason why so many players keep chopping and changing cues. You just have to settle on one and learn how that cue hits and adapt to it best you can. Eventually, over time, you will adapt, its just a slow process that will probably take around 12 months to feel totally confident and proficient with it to play all the shots.

Comment

I have had similar problem - gave up snooker a couple of years back and sold my cue - I have come back to the game and gone through several cues and frustrations trying to get the "right one".

I would suggest going somewhere that you can try cues out prior to purchase - I made the mistake of having a custom made cue by Mastercraft to my specs and design - it was in deed a lovely cue ...but it did not feel right and I could not get used to it. All cues play and feel differently even those with similar specs.

I went through a couple of other cues until a friend of mine who is a former pro suggested that it was far better to try a cue before you buy.

I ended up purchasing ,of all things, a Peradon Royal cue, which after trying a load of cues in the shop actually felt good, had a nice stiff shaft and was very reactive with the cue ball.

I know Peradon cues are not that well thought of on the forum, but the point is that it is a personal things as to how the cue feels and plays - I am very happy with it.

I would suggest you go somewhere like Craftsman cues or Greenbaize or similar where you can try various cues and find one that feels pretty right from the start- thereafter you just need to practice with it to fine tune your game with it.

I hope this helps - having been through several cues I am now a firm believer in this method of choosing a cue.

Best of luck.

regard Sprogbasket

Comment

cheers for the replies guys,I had thought of try before you buy,but Hereford is miles off the beaten track!Will have to try craftsman,GBL just a bit too far!Does anybody know if any of the top makers have cues lying round already made?There must be people who order a custom and don't end up paying!I'm going up to peterborough soon so could nip into Robin,Coutts,Stamford etc.

Comment

Personally you know if a cue suits you after a few hours , you can adapt to a cue over time but when you find one that suits you is an instant liking .

Comment

I would have said you should know that it suits you within your first few shots and also agree with the "good craftsman not blaming his tools" line.

That said I know we all have our own preferences but a regular 60/70 break player should be able to pick a cue out of the bucket of club cues and be able to play decently with it and it shouldn't be difficult at all to find a replacement.

Sometimes we think too much about things which then start to prey on our minds and we then fall into the spiral of depression because we are constantly demanding that we play our best game every time which logically is not possible - you have only played your best game once, some of the others may have been close but most will have been average with some rubbish in there too.

It might not hurt to read a book on sports pschology as well.

Comment

Originally Posted by gagg8ball View Post
              After using the same cue for 12 years, with countless repairs on the way,my trusty old laurel is finished. When it was made 30 years ago,my old man had a bob aker joint put in above the splices,which made the cue feel different to anything else on a snooker table. However,the shaft split many moons ago and has been deteriorating for a while. So I thought,time for a new cue. what a nightmare. Nothing feels right, I've tried 4 different cues from different makers, all same spec as the old cue. I've gone from consistent 60s,70s to not able to string a 30 together in 2 months! Now,I know I'm not the first person to go through this,so from other peoples personal experience,how long have you got to give a cue?Is it love at first sight,or have you got to plough through the s**t?Cos I've been finding it hard to stay enthusiastic about one after not liking it immediately!Any input would be greatly appreciated
              If you were able to make 60-70 breaks Consistently it shouldn't be a problem to play with any cue. Unless your old cue was magic wand.

Comment

think it must have been magic the way i've played with everything else lol. Completely agree with the all in your mind thing,will have to bang in the hours i suppose

Comment

cheers for the replies guys,I had thought of try before you buy,but Hereford is miles off the beaten track!Will have to try craftsman,GBL just a bit too far!Does anybody know if any of the top makers have cues lying round already made?There must be people who order a custom and don't end up paying!I'm going up to peterborough soon so could nip into Robin,Coutts,Stamford etc.
                  Yes John Parris has a shop with some cues off the shelf. Has a small table to get a feel for the cue.

Comment

dont be despair mate. many others been thru same problem as u. after many years of playing and buying cues. i dont really trust custom made cues. other than MW made 1 superb cue for me this year , after many custom cues i bought in the past . trust me. its better to get those cues ready made. try them out on the spot. pick the one u feel best and confident. its better that way rather playing with some cues u dont like. go try all cue makers cues. i am sure u will find the right one.. ^^ good luck
                    Last edited by maxz; 29 September 2012, 09:24 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Comment

There's no reason why you couldn't send your old cue to a cue maker and ask for a replica to be made using the same Akers joint taken out of your old cue.

Comment

have only just been thinking about that,wouldn't even need splicing as my old butt is fine,so just need a new shaft. No splicing on the shaft either as split above them. Wonder how much for an 'ultimate' standard shaft from the top makers?Worth an enquiry!

Comment

Working...
                        X