Type of Ebony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of Ebony

Anyone know if John Parris cue butts are made of gabon or maccasar ebony?
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

On his Cue Builder you have the choice of "African Ebony" and Macassar Ebony".
    So as Gabon is in Africa, it very well maybe Gabon ebony.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Its gaboon ebony yes Well the ones I have seen

Comment

Is this Gaboon ebony (not necessarily just from the country Gabon ) the one that is usually the jet-black, the Makassar ebony (SEAsia) is usually streaked with brown. But not heard much about the Indian/SriLankan ebony, what characteristics does that have?
        I understand that pure jet black ebony is getting very hard to source, even from the western African countries. there are other threads about Chinese and SEAsian merchants buying up all they can get at huge prices.
        So even African ebony can have some brown streaks.

Comment

Right so I'm guessing cues from the parris collection will be maccasar ebony then and you pay extra to have gabon on a custom made cue.
          "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
            Right so I'm guessing cues from the parris collection will be maccasar ebony then and you pay extra to have gabon on a custom made cue.
            Nope, you're guessing wrong.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
              Nope, you're guessing wrong.
              ?????????? If you know more please tell

Comment

Some of the best / blackest Ebony comes from Madagascar but it's very difficult to get now 'legally' so next best option will be African Ebony from the Gabon. Indian or Ceylon Ebony is good and is usually more keenly priced but it can sometimes have silica deposits running through the grain which show up as small white flecks or lines but they can be removed okay with a bit of patience.

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
                  ?????????? If you know more please tell
                  Just look at the pictures - the ebony on Parris collection cues is black, Maccasar ebony is not black.

Comment

on the Parris Cue Builder, African Ebony is zero cost, but Makassar Ebony is £24 extra

Comment

Macassar is a verry expensive wood (£1,000 per square foot) so i would expect that to have a sercharge ?

Comment

More like £1000 per cubic foot

Still an expensive wood!

Comment

Originally Posted by JimB View Post
                          More like £1000 per cubic foot

Still an expensive wood!
                          That will be the one

i bought a piece last week for £280 and there were cracks to the one edge so by the time i preped it to sqares i got enough wood for 4 butts and two mini butts

Comment

Are you making any cues that are actual snooker spec or stil all pool spec?

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                              Are you making any cues that are actual snooker spec or stil all pool spec?
                              i have a few getting made at the moment, i will probably put them on here over the coming weeks

Comment

Working...
                              X