Question for the cue makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the cue makers

One of my pet hates is badly fitted joints and ferrels. I recently sold a cue with those very problems.
    I know that the brass joints are a precision bit of engineering and a work of art in their own right. My question is do you try to fit the joints to the butt and shaft first then turn the wood so its flush with the joint, or do you try to turn the wood to the exact size and fit the joint after?

The latter appeared to be the case on the cue I sold as you could run your finger nail along both the butt and shaft and the joint was standing proud on both sides as though the wood had been turned to small in diametre. The same was the case with the ferrel.

Such a shame as the cue was near perfect otherwise.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
    One of my pet hates is badly fitted joints and ferrels. I recently sold a cue with those very problems.
    I know that the brass joints are a precision bit of engineering and a work of art in their own right. My question is do you try to fit the joints to the butt and shaft first then turn the wood so its flush with the joint, or do you try to turn the wood to the exact size and fit the joint after?

The latter appeared to be the case on the cue I sold as you could run your finger nail along both the butt and shaft and the joint was standing proud on both sides as though the wood had been turned to small in diametre. The same was the case with the ferrel.

Such a shame as the cue was near perfect otherwise.
    Can u tell us the brand of the cue? So that we can think twice before buying it, lolsssssss.

Comment

I would say that you would turn it down close to the finished specs, fit the joint then finish whatever else needs doing then reduce down to the joint diameter.

Comment

Was it your heritage? As I've seen that in a few of their models...
        Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

you turn the brass down to fit the wood.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
          X