'Ye olde' 1st edition burroughes and watts cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Ye olde' 1st edition burroughes and watts cue

I'm researching a very rare special edition burroughes and watts ash cue that's been in my family since my grandad purchased it around 1925. It's 1st edition deep colour ash with brass plate 'ye olde Newcastle B&W' my grandad died 30 years ago and bought it when about 20 years old. Pre snooker days. He played with the old greats all his life. He always said the wood was salvaged from sunken ships from the battle of Trafalgar. B&W are not the original company so cannot confirm the history of the wood. Anyone have info please?

andy.hunter@thecuecollector.com

Ask him.He knows everything,tell him Trev says he's fat aswell!

Comment

Never seen one with a brass plate, can you supply a pic ???

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        Never seen one with a brass plate, can you supply a pic ???
        I was going to say the same thing . . .

Specs too
        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

The cue is presently with my dad after my uncle had it for years but he will send photos soon. I've just seen it on Skype (very nice) spec is 16oz 58 inch 10 mm tip. Great condition. Original metal case. It's the wood history I'm mainly after, but all info is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Well you seem to already know the history of the wood, the 1st edition Ye cues were indeed used from salvaged wood from a ship, and are distinctive by the reddish colour, caused by the saltwater reacting with the ash. These cues are very very rare, and are worth a lot of money. The brass plate is intriguing tho !!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Markkiran View Post
              The cue is presently with my dad after my uncle had it for years but he will send photos soon. I've just seen it on Skype (very nice) spec is 16oz 58 inch 10 mm tip. Great condition. Original metal case. It's the wood history I'm mainly after, but all info is greatly appreciated.
              Use the search function (top right) and type Ye Olde Ash cue and you will find some great threads on this ye olde cue . . .

Are you thinking of selling the cue ??????

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

Thanks. The wood is a lovely deep red. Do you know how many were made from the salvaged wood?
                We need to insure it and are trying evaluate a price. It's only recently come back to the son of the man who originally bought it.

Comment

Not sure personally on this brass badge thing, but a proper one would be around £1000 maybe more, always depends who wants it of course

Comment

Need to see pics before you could value it . . . . of the butt, tip, weight stamp and badge close up.

Never seen one with a brass badge before!

Send pics to the Cue Collector (Gordon Radford or Andy Hunter) and they will give you some idea of its value.

http://www.thecuecollector.com/

Let us know the outcome and posts some pictures here too please.

Let us know if you are thinking of selling it.

Last edited by mythman69; 29 June 2013, 01:41 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

what do they say about buses eh lads

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                        what do they say about buses eh lads
                        do you believe in coincidences?
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                          As stephen fry would say quite interesting! Hopefully we get to see some pics of this yoke.

Comment

i think in this case seeing is believing

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                              Does seem a bit weird . . . . lets see if any others appear (Twilight Zone maybe?)

Comment

Working...
                              X