Re-glue Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-glue Joint

Can someone please recommend a glue for re-glue a joint?

devcon, or other decent epoxy glue.

Comment

Thanks stejohn, an epoxy would be a two-part mix I guess

Comment

gorilla glue sticks most things dont have to mix

Comment

Thanks jim, just been reading about it on usa woodforum. Some talked of gorilla as expanding and messy. Have you used it before?

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
          gorilla glue sticks most things dont have to mix

Comment

This is what I'm up to,
            Iv been given a job to put a new shaft on this cue and I found a near-on perf-match.
            Apart from cutting it straight and central is there things to look out for??

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG
            Last edited by j6uk; 30 June 2013, 09:04 AM.

Comment

yes it is an expanding gap filling glue and can be messy ,dont think it sets as quick as epoxy as well,but its strong,biggest problem is with the expansion it can move the joint so you need to fasten down ,i use for putting minibutt joints in

Comment

Thanks jim, I think I'll go with epoxy with this one..

As for my last post, could anyone share any pitfalls to lookout for with jointing and aligning the shaft?

yes it is an expanding gap filling glue and can be messy ,dont think it sets as quick as epoxy as well,but its strong,biggest problem is with the expansion it can move the joint so you need to fasten down ,i use for putting minibutt joints in

Comment

i would say unless you have realy gd eyes get a piece of angle iron to lay cue in so it lines up straight and get the joints as tight as you can

Comment

The thing is, there is a 2mm over hang to plane down. The difference 25.5 to 23.5mm 014.JPG
                    So I was thinking of jointing the shaft first tightly then plane down flush to the side of the joint edge and finish the taper. How's that sound?

i would say unless you have realy gd eyes get a piece of angle iron to lay cue in so it lines up straight and get the joints as tight as you can
                    Last edited by j6uk; 30 June 2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

never done one like that but seems feasable,you could always use a 2mm packer on the butt side to keep straight

Comment

Okay Thanks again, gonna do a bit of ponda.. Doing all this by hand so, its looking a little tricky

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                          This is what I'm up to,
                          Iv been given a job to put a new shaft on this cue and I found a near-on perf-match.
                          Apart from cutting it straight and central is there things to look out for??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14120[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14121[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14122[/ATTACH]
                          cant understand why you tapered shaft in pics

Comment

Yeah looks odd, I was preparing this for a one piece cue. Then this lad was looking for a shaft for his and I found it as a perfect match so now it looks like this 015.JPG016.JPG

cant understand why you tapered shaft in pics
                            Last edited by j6uk; 30 June 2013, 07:59 PM.

Comment

understand should be ok to plane,if you put the ferrul on gives you another guide for planing

Comment

Working...
                              X