This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
    it was sarcasm mate did i not sugest you started the thread yesturday ?
    Whatever, are you going to plane the cue and prove what you say or not?

Comment

• throtts:

Jeez, I hope it opens an even bigger can of worms. We are at page 43 now and still counting. I hope every British cuemaker who touts his cues as completely handmade in Britain and charges a premium price for those cues is exposed.

I am extremely pissed off to think I may have paid 800+ for a cue purported to be 100% British custom handmade workmanship when it was actually a Thai blank hand FINISHED by my British cuemaker. If it was hand FINISHED I think I was royally ripped off, sort of like buying champagne and getting bubbly rose wine. (Dave Coutts...I am NOT talking about you here)

This whole thing just gets worse and worse. I thank Crispian for starting this because as the WHO said 'I won't be fooled again'.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by Maxsys View Post
        Whatever, are you going to plane the cue and prove what you say or not?
        no mate, im going to bed why waist a good thai cue when i can resplice it ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          throtts:

Jeez, I hope it opens an even bigger can of worms. We are at page 43 now and still counting. I hope every British cuemaker who touts his cues as completely handmade in Britain and charges a premium price for those cues is exposed.

I am extremely pissed off to think I may have paid 800+ for a cue purported to be 100% British custom handmade workmanship when it was actually a Thai blank hand FINISHED by my British cuemaker. If it was hand FINISHED I think I was royally ripped off, sort of like buying champagne and getting bubbly rose wine. (Dave Coutts...I am NOT talking about you here)

This whole thing just gets worse and worse. I thank Crispian for starting this because as the WHO said 'I won't be fooled again'.

Terry
          Terry with all due respect, without proof you don't know if you have been shafted or not (excuse the pun)

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            throtts:

Terry
            Absolutely, Terry. Wow, £800...

If any seller is found out then surely they will be in the ****e if the consumers have the stamina to go legal..You have to be so careful with who you can trust..A certain online shopping site is full of fake material, I hate the bloody place..
            JP Majestic
            3/4
            57"
            17oz
            9.5mm Elk

Comment

• How far back does this possibly go?

Comment

• But you paid £800+for a M/W..........cheaper in THAI same cue L.O.L.
                Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                throtts:

Terry

Comment

• Terry-YOUR Dave Coutts cue gone up in PRICE handmade,L.O.L.
                  Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  Not sure I understand any of this so I must be dense. I have bought AT cues and they appear to be well made and the price is lower than other cuemakers. However, it does appear from the badge which says 'handmade' and then 'Sheffield' that the inference is they are handmade in Sheffield?

Than again I have ordered custom cues from both MW and DC. I paid 800+ for both of them with extensions. I know the DC cue was made entirely from a square block of ash as Dave sent me many pics showing the progress of the cue, one of them being with 8 sides and one of them being the raw shaft.

I didn't get anything like that from MW but I assumed as Mike has a workshop and a helper that his custom cues are all 100% handmade in his workshop but I don't know this for certain and I have been told Mike used blanks from Thailand. If this is so then I feel I overpaid for my MW cue but not for my DC cue.

Is that not the case?

Terry

Comment

• Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                    All these posts to prove what we already know:
                    Anyone valuing an item more based based purely on where its made, are:

inherantly racist,
                    stupid,
                    deserving of being fleeced

congrats.
                    I have a lot of respect for you, you are very knowledgable and are normally very even handed, but this comment is absolute horse****. As a man who has experienced racism on many occasions, I object to being called inherently racist.

Comment

• Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                      Rob - the cost of producing anything has little/any impact on it's value. I wasn't planning to have a debate on economic principals... but if it cost ford £30k to produce a Fiesta would you buy it?

Point being people talking about "thai" cues.. so if Trevor was in Thailand making these cues they'd still have less value? But if a Thai gent was in the UK producing UK cues these cues they'd be more valuable? Where an item was made shouldn't make any difference, it's either good, bad, indifferent, or whatever. My point in that people who make the decision that instantly something made in the UK is better, or something made in Thailand is inferior are either 'snobs' or have some kind of prejudice - you really can't argue any other reason for it.
                      You are again missing the point completely. I am using a Ton Praram cue at the moment and it is pretty good. It's ethnicity is not an issue, I knew it was a Thai cue and bought it as such, if it was advertised as a Thai cue but made in the UK I would be equally pissed off. Consumers should not be lied to, I struggle to understand why anyone cannot agree with this.

Comment

• Was looking at an old thread were a member called 1lawyer challenged MW about using thai cues before and was laughed off the forum. Not sure if that link works.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...PTZsc_SdO4fffw

Comment

• Originally Posted by paddybhoy30 View Post
                          Was looking at an old thread were a member called 1lawyer challenged MW about using thai cues before and was laughed off the forum. Not sure if that link works.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...PTZsc_SdO4fffw
                          Nice piece from Mike in there
                          "however, to make it crystal clear to anyone remotely interested in my business, if i decide in the future to outsource all my work, which incidentally i have every intention of doing cos i'm tired and fed up with making cues, then the cues will still remain 'mike wooldridge cues' cos that's MY brand, and MY business.

i've spent my life building cues and now i have a world recognised brand. if i personally never touch another cue, i will still produce 'mike wooldridge cues' and maintain the brand i worked so hard to create.

one thing you can bet on, i won't ever sell sh*t cues regardless of whether i touch them or not."

So there you are, maybe he did decide to go down the Thai cues route

Comment

• Seems quite likely based on that. Would like to hear from the man himself on the matter.
                            "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

• Well he's been on the forum and said nothing so gather from that what you will.

Comment

• Well MW was on this site earlier but has declined to post on the thread so far

Comment

Working...
                                X