Maple cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple cues

I have been reading about low deflection cues and how the cue ball pushes out more if side is applied with a high density cue. I used to use an ash cue which I've had plenty of centeries with. Unfortunately my cue broke so I'm now playing with a maple cue which I'm not playing as well with. Is maple a denser wood than ash?

Thanks

It usually comes down to the flex of the shaft which is related to the diameter of the shaft between ferrule and 3ft down the cue. I believe (but not certain) maple is a little more dense than ash however you could duplicate maple to play like a similar cue with an ash shaft by sanding down the shaft a bit more (if the maple is more stiff than ash).

Each shaft is made of a natural product grown in different parts of the world so you will have variations. I'm afrain it all comes down to you trying out cues of different shaft flex and seeing what you like best. Some like very stiff shafts, most cues are made with medium-stiff shafts and after many trials I have discovered I prefer a medium flex shaft.

But then again shaft stiffness also varies with who is evaluating it. People's opinion vary and there is no definitive measurement of shaft flex.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks Terry..I was watching Nic's video on low deflection cues and the fact that maybe my old ash cue was more flexible and therefore covered up the times when i have put unintentional side on.

Comment

Maple is definitely more dense than ash on average and many people agree that it tends to throw more. I've heard that cue makers use a slimmer taper for maple for reasons Terry has said and certainly, when you look at American pool cues (almost exclusively made of maple) they use a very slim taper which I think helps with balance, response and throw.
        Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
          Maple is definitely more dense than ash on average and many people agree that it tends to throw more. I've heard that cue makers use a slimmer taper for maple for reasons Terry has said and certainly, when you look at American pool cues (almost exclusively made of maple) they use a very slim taper which I think helps with balance, response and throw.
          Yes I thought it was and noticed ive lot really got much of a taper either. Also play with a medium Kamui tip which probably adds to more deflection I'm not sure?

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I was really hankering after a maple cue, but I think I will stick to ash.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by milos1 View Post
              I have been reading about low deflection cues and how the cue ball pushes out more if side is applied with a high density cue. I used to use an ash cue which I've had plenty of centeries with. Unfortunately my cue broke so I'm now playing with a maple cue which I'm not playing as well with. Is maple a denser wood than ash?

Thanks
              I was the opposite. I used to play with maple years ago. Just got back into playing again and started using an ash cue. Doesn't feel right for me so I just ordered another maple. I've read just about everywhere that maple is denser than ash. I haven't tried too many cues as of late but it seems to be proving true.

Comment

also i find that maple shaft tend to turn into green colour after awhile... ash would rather stay with more mature yellow colour. this is something i find very weird about maple shaft even if oil care effort is applied.

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeTheBigMonster View Post
                  also i find that maple shaft tend to turn into green colour after awhile... ash would rather stay with more mature yellow colour. this is something i find very weird about maple shaft even if oil care effort is applied.
                  I have a maple cue that I bought new over 25 yrs ago and it has never been green, and is now a nice golden colour.
                  I have seen old old maple cues and they have not been green.

my thoughts would be that this green is just the chalk/sweat/dirt, so a clean before oiling should work
                  if the dirt is more resistant to standard gentle cleaning, I believe that turps can be used sparingly to clean the cue before oiling
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                  X