Tip Job Gone Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Job Gone Bad

So I took my snooker cue in to get a new tip put on it. The tip job was good but he didn't give it the dome I asked for and instead it was a pretty flat tip. No biggie I just reshaped the tip. But when I got home and started to really look at the cue, I could see a ton of scratches and dents near the button of the shaft and a spot where some wood was chipped off. I am pretty frustrated with this work (even though I didn't pay to much for my cue) and I am not sure what to do. I have never had a problem with this guy redoing my regular pool cue tips. I would go to someone else to have the work done but they are the only place that I know that can do it and I have never re-tipped a cue before and would be worried about damaging my cue as well. I will take some pictures a post them up later so you can see. Part of the reason why this happened I think is because they virtually probably have never gotten a 3/4 cue in their before and weren't sure how to retip it. They ended up using a lathe and I am pretty sure that's why there is so much damage at the base of the shaft. Probably cause by the clamps of the lathe or at least that's what it looks like.
    Last edited by SnookeredYou; 8 February 2015, 04:05 AM.
    “Thus so wretched is man that he would weary even without any cause for weariness... and so frivolous is he that, though full of a thousand reasons for weariness, the least thing, such as playing billiards or hitting a ball, is sufficient enough to amuse him.” Mr. Blaise Pascal

so sorry to hear about the damage to your cue.

My advice will be to learn how to retip the snooker cue and DIY.

It will get easier over time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrpdPZPFEI

Comment

Originally Posted by piper74 View Post
      so sorry to hear about the damage to your cue.

My advice will be to learn how to retip the snooker cue and DIY.

It will get easier over time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrpdPZPFEI
      Agree with this.

I have hot linked the same Mike Wooldridge video!

Watch it and follow it step by step and it is not that hard if you take your time and be careful.
      If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

If they are using a lathe to put a tip on, i would be avoiding them !!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          I have watched them on YouTube use lathes to put tips on those big old nine ball cues, the tips looked rock hard, I'm not sure if you could get away with it with a softer smaller snooker tip.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Wise words indeed, a five minute job.

Comment

Change it your self ADR 147 has a vid which shows it in a basic form, I was always worried about doing it myself until I did it, its easy as long as you take your time, now I change tips for a lot of my mates cues

Comment

I think I will practice doing it myself after my kamui is ready to be changed out. I have a bunch of cheaper tips I can practice with and my ADR147 tips should be getting here soon too.
                “Thus so wretched is man that he would weary even without any cause for weariness... and so frivolous is he that, though full of a thousand reasons for weariness, the least thing, such as playing billiards or hitting a ball, is sufficient enough to amuse him.” Mr. Blaise Pascal

Comment

i wonder when mike actually last masked off the ferrule!
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                  X