Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a cue responsive?

Hi,

After trying out many cues i am confused of how to tell a cue is responsive or not: what factors determine a cue is responsive or not? How to tell when i am about to purchase my next cue?

i have listed some of the things i shall consider and please excuse if i am wrong and please rectify me....and please add more if you can, thanks

Many factors such as :
    a) tip used
    b) tapering
    c) wood materials, ash/maple/hickory/graphite
    d) weight
    e) smoothness of wood around bridge area
    f) grain of ash
    g) balance of cue
    e) tip size
    f) ferrule length and materials
    g) glue used for tip

??

As you've had no reply to this, I'll offer some of my thoughts on it.

By responsive, I'm assuming you mean a cue which moves the white ball easily.

Would that be correct???

The problem with trying to define 'responsive' is that it can mean different things for different shots. By that, I mean that a cue which offers good response when striking low in the cueball (lots of backspin) does not necessarily mean it will offer the same degree of response when striking high on the cueball (lots of topspin).

In fact, it cold be argued that the best cues for creating topspin power very very easily, are not usually the best at delivering effortless response when trying to play shots with lots of backspin, and vise versa.

The secret is to get a cue which offers good performance in most areas, and, while there may be some 'trade off' in some ways, it will allow you to play a full range of shots to a reasonable degree.

The very best playing cues will offer this comfortably, and, will also be reliable and accurate when striking off centre on the white ball.

I won't go into what makes a cue perform in one way or another for certain shots, as I will probably bore everyone to tears in the process, but cues can be made to offer 'more' in a certain department in perfomance terms.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post

I won't go into what makes a cue perform in one way or another for certain shots, as I will probably bore everyone to tears in the process, but cues can be made to offer 'more' in a certain department in perfomance terms.
      I would love to learn more about what makes a cue perform one way or another.
      I f you dont mind. Thank you.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I knew that would happen.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to get heavily into this discussion right now, but another time I'll offer some of my thoughts on it.

Perhaps in a PM in a week or so Poolqjunkie?

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
            Unfortunately, I don't have the time to get heavily into this discussion right now, but another time I'll offer some of my thoughts on it.

Perhaps in a PM in a week or so Poolqjunkie?
            Thank you very much. I understand. Did not mean to impose anything. Should I PM you in a week then, if you dont mind?
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
            X