No announcement yet.

Help!! BCE Westbury or Brunswick Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to bring this up again, but are ALL westbury steel block?

Any idea how I might check it?

And yes I can confirm to the poor quality of the leather pockets, they split very easily. As well as the woodwork are true as you mentioned.

Originally Posted by Jono857280 View Post
    Easy decision.Westbury BCE!

Pros
    ---
    Bought mine 3rd hand. Lovely table. Steel block of course - tournament standard table.

Used in every major ranking event between 1982-1991 -including Cliffs 147 in the World Championships, Kirk's 147 in the Masters, Davis/Taylor black ball struggle - all done on a Westburys.

Nice 1.75 inch slate.

Cons
    ----
    Subframe and muntings are pine with a Mahogany stain and not true Mahogany - mine were cracked since the previous owner over tightened the dowl joints -carpenter replaced mine with nice Brazillian mahogany for table stability and prevent slate sag.

Pocket leather rubbish - cosmetically nice (dark brown) but prone to early splitting. No real problem - for 300usd you could have a set made up by local leather worker that are better than the original.

caps attached to steel block (on each end) are rubbish. I think they're made of pine or basswood. These are the small wooden pieces that the cloth is wrapped around and also form the inside of the pocket when the table is assembled. Better off have a wood shop make some up in maple or a slightly harder wood. These are very strategic pieces of wood but nery cheaply made.

Mr.Davidson has a Wesbury I think.

Cheers
    Jono.

Comment

No.

The non-steel block cushions have a cutaway on top next to the pocket plate.

Comment

Originally Posted by bricktip View Post
        No.

The non-steel block cushions have a cutaway on top next to the pocket plate.
        Thank you but it's a little hard to imagine, has a picture?

Comment

original quote from jono

caps attached to steel block (on each end) are rubbish. I think they're made of pine or basswood. These are the small wooden pieces that the cloth is wrapped around and also form the inside of the pocket when the table is assembled. Better off have a wood shop make some up in maple or a slightly harder wood. These are very strategic pieces of wood but nery cheaply mad

Cheers
          Jono.[/QUOTE]

Jono those caps as you call them on the ends of steel blocks are supposed be to soft wood as they are designed to take tacks and staples , if you tacked into hard wood it would split , I know staples are a little easier and less prone for hard wood to split but with constant recovering they are designed to be replaced any way , and all they are are a bit of soft wood skirting architrave , the natural angle on the skirting is just about correct , so all you need is a chop saw to make them .
          you also have to be gentle when standing a steel cushion against a wall that you do not break them , I always lay them down .

Geoff
          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Working...
          X