"Average Club Player"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Average Club Player"

Something that ive heard on here a few times and in general conversation in clubs is statements like the following and please tell me am I right or wrong here? "Im an average club player with a break of 70"

Now im sorry but to me an average club player is someone who plays at their local club once or twice a week and can achieve a break of between 20-30. Someone who can achieve a break of 70 must surely be considered above average? What are the perimetres on which you judge a player in your local club?

RocketRoy.
    Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
    Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

I would tend to agree with you. I guess it depends on your definition of 'club player': is it the casual player who, as you say, goes down the club a couple of times a week, maybe with a few mates and has a couple of beers and a few friendlies; or does it refer to the loads of players who play to a reasonably proficient level and plays other club members at a similar level, knocking in 40s, 50s and 60s.

I have referred to myself as an 'average club player' and I suppose, by your definition, I am a bit more than that. But I guess it gives the (correct) impression that I was never going to be the next Stephen Hendry!

Quite often casual players on the neighbouring table will keep a surrerptitious eye on my game, because we are 'so good' (meant only in comparison to them!), while it's just as interesting watching them play, not because of the skill level but because of the enjoyment level!

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
      ...Now im sorry but to me an average club player is someone who plays at their local club once or twice a week and can achieve a break of between 20-30. Someone who can achieve a break of 70 must surely be considered above average?....RocketRoy.
      Sorry RocketRoy, but you'd be surprised how many amateurs are able to make hundred breaks. Frequent 70 breaks is definitely an above average standard.. but someone who makes 20s-30s and then breaks down are below average. i wouldn't be concerned about what other people do. Just practice and play you're own game.

Comment

i rarely hit a 20 brak and have never reached 30.

I am a BELOW AVERAGE snooker player.

i would pitch average at 50 breaks from time to time.

if you can win a frame in one visit your above average in my opinion, so 70+ is above.
        Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

Maybe "advanced" snooker player is the correct term for a guy who knocks 70+ breaks.

Comment

Originally Posted by steedee View Post
            i rarely hit a 20 brak and have never reached 30.

I am a BELOW AVERAGE snooker player.

i would pitch average at 50 breaks from time to time.

if you can win a frame in one visit your above average in my opinion, so 70+ is above.

Good point with winning with a single visit, i do remeber Gary Lineker once saying " I'm a good club player, my highest break is 138". He used to practice in Willy Thornes club whilst playing with spurs. Maybe he was just being modest.

Comment

it all depends how often you are knocking in 70 breaks if it a regular thing i would say thats a good player.

Comment

Yeah i remember Linekar saying that too. A good friend of mine is Spurs' David Bentley and his highest break is 70-odd and he hardly plays.

I think the thing that annoys me is when I hear comments like "Im not great but I can get breaks of around 70-80" It annoys me because I think a) your lying b) your far far too modest or c) Your not average thats bloody good!

And yes as stated above consistency does play a big factor too.
                Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

there is more to being a good player than big breaks!!!!!!!!!!! , as a 147 break will only win you one frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker warrior View Post
                    there is more to being a good player than big breaks!!!!!!!!!!! , as a 147 break will only win you one frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    True, You can't win a match without break building though. If you miss ahilst in amongst the balls.. it usually is curtains! Break building is the best way of gauging talent IMO...

Comment

Being a good player is about consistancy.

There are about about 8 lads I play snooker with. All of them have had breaks of around 70-130, but most of them are very lucky to make a 30-40 on an average night. 20-30 is about usual for most breaks. I would class them as average club players, despite the fact they all have impressive high breaks.

There are a couple of them who knock in 50+'s quite regularly. I would class them as very good players!

Comment

Originally Posted by Stretch147 View Post
                        True, You can't win a match without break building though. If you miss ahilst in amongst the balls.. it usually is curtains! Break building is the best way of gauging talent IMO...
                        that is not true ,there are plenty of matches won with no breaks,and the tactically better player allways wins,,

Comment

that is not true ,there are plenty of matches won with no breaks,and the tactically better player allways wins,,
                          No way... i don't believe that at all.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stretch147 View Post
                            No way... i don't believe that at all.
                            do you play or have you seen any local league snooker ????????????? even the good players have to win ugly sometimes or they might have to give a big start and have to pick them off , like i said earlier in the thread just because you can make breaks doesnt make you a good player !!!!!!!!!!! like someone once said "theres more to snooker than just potting balls"

Comment

do you play or have you seen any local league snooker ????????????? even the good players have to win ugly sometimes or they might have to give a big start and have to pick them off , like i said earlier in the thread just because you can make breaks doesnt make you a good player !!!!!!!!!!! like someone once said "theres more to snooker than just potting balls"
                              i play in 2 local leagues in 1 league i can give a maximum of 40 start the maximum you can give is 68. so if i am giving a guy 40 start (1 frame snooker)sometimes a good chance at a break doesnt come along and you just have to pick of balls and play good safety as you have to get 40 points to get level and thats with out him potting a ball theres alot more to snooker than break building although it does help. i consider myself a good player i have never had a century but i have had plenty of 70s 80s and a odd 90. i would say an average club player is a regular 20/30 break player a good club player regular 40/60 breaks and anything above that a very good club player as long as you are knocking the breaks in often.

Comment

Working...
                              X