Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarify a snooker rule for me please!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarify a snooker rule for me please!!!!!!!

There has been much discussion at my local snooker club.[closer to punch ups actually]regarding a rule.The president is adament that any implement left on the table during a stroke is a foul.I do realise there is a rule stating that anything used to assist aiming[putting chalk on or marking in any way the cushion]is a foul.But I cannot find anything in the international rules that cover implements.
    I also see Pros doing it all the time in matches.Is it legal or not????And has it ever been a rule.?????
    Clear this up for me so we can stop the blood flow at the club.
    Thanks............

Just by watching a few frames, I would have to say that it is not illegal. Note: I am not looking at any rules or protocol documented by any snooker bodies.

I say this because I think you have seen as well, many times that a player is going for a shot that needs the rest, re-aligns, realises that the rest is not needed, and just plays the shot with the rest on the table. I was watching a frame between Selby and Murphy today and Selby didn't need his extension so he just placed it on the baulk cushion and continued on. M. Tabb just continued on as normal.

If it is placed and any ball touches it. I assume that it would be a foul then.

Comment

Defo legal! Only Foul when a ball hits rest, extension, whatever.

Maybe the president mixed it up with American Pool. It is a foul in Pool to leave anything on the table. Even if you dont touch your cue for a moment.

Comment

Yes it would be a foul if it comes into contact with any ball but leaving the butt on the table when using a screw-on extension for example is perfectly legal as far as im aware. Matthew Stevens used to do this regularly.
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Absolutely legal.

I have, on occasion, got the rest out, walked round the table to view another option and, finding it a better shot, got down and played it straight away. The rest is still on the table but that does not make it a foul.

As you say, if the referee considered that the rest was being used to aid your judgement of angle or something, then he could call foul; or, of course, if a ball then went on to touch the rest that would definitely be a foul.

But in itself, the rest being on the table is not a foul.

Matthew Stevens often would unscrew his cue, if needing the extension, and leave the butt end against the baulk cushion. No problem.

Comment

I agree. I assume everyone saw Mark Williams' mistake at the Worlds where he changed his mind and decided to use the spider instead of his screw in extension. He unscrewed the extension and placed it on the table, then mis-calculated his shot and white came round and hit his extension. He couldn't move it because he'd have to have let go of the spider, which would have resulted in it hitting the reds LOL
            Cheers
            Steve

Comment

Working...
            X