Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a 1-piece cue can you better feel than a 3/4 jointed cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a 1-piece cue can you better feel than a 3/4 jointed cue?

Please share as much as experience as you could , thank you very much you all.

I thinks it,s as subjective as who makes the best cue . If i bought a 3/4 cue and played well with it then obviously iim going to say a 3/4 has the best feel , and the same applies for a one piece . I,ve always tended to use a one piece and there for swear by them . Thats just my opinion and not fact .
    Last edited by hotpot; 30 April 2010, 07:18 AM.

Comment

If you are talking about feeling, I wouldn't use the word "better"... rather which feeling do you as a player "prefer"?

Personally my first cue was a half cue, 2nd a 3/4 and currently using a 1 piece.
      In terms of feel, based on my experience and the cues I've used, I very much prefer a 1 piece. It feels more responsive to me, as in how much I put into my shot will be manifested on the table to my expectation. I think it may be something to do with energy lost during transfer from wood to metal? Any scientist here that can qualify or quantify this? (getting a little too technical here? hahaha...)

Having said that it still depends very much on the quality of the cue, I believe 3/4 and 1/2 cues can play equally well if they are made well?

Other than "feel", the practical differences would be obvious - a 1 piece has no joint problems, but a little more troublesome bringing it around. Asthetically it's also a preference, so to me after using a 1 piece I've never looked back... my upcoming cue from Robin Cook will also be a 1 piece
      John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

I have hardly played with any cue but 1 piece. Am having two new ones made and they are both 1piece. As one of the others said, a two piece is easier to carry around.

It is a matter of opinion which is best, but I think a one piece is best.
        :snooker:

Comment

I agree it is hard to say which one is better. A lot of pros are using one piece but there are also lots using 3/4.
          I think it really depends on the cue in question, and what you are used to.
          Other than the presence of a joint, the shaft of a 3/4 does not go as deep through the cue as a one piece, which I think is the biggest difference between the two.
          For a one piece the shaft wood goes through the grip hand of the player but with a 3/4 (unless if it was made as a one piece than cut to have the 3/4 joint installed) the butt section is usually solid.
          I play with a one piece but I can also play with a 3/4. I think they sound a bit different. I prefer one piece but if I come across a 3/4 that I really like I will use it.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
            I agree it is hard to say which one is better. A lot of pros are using one piece but there are also lots using 3/4.
            I think it really depends on the cue in question, and what you are used to.
            Other than the presence of a joint, the shaft of a 3/4 does not go as deep through the cue as a one piece, which I think is the biggest difference between the two.
            For a one piece the shaft wood goes through the grip hand of the player but with a 3/4 (unless if it was made as a one piece than cut to have the 3/4 joint installed) the butt section is usually solid.
            I play with a one piece but I can also play with a 3/4. I think they sound a bit different. I prefer one piece but if I come across a 3/4 that I really like I will use it.
            I absolutely second that. I prefer 1pc but I can handle a 3/4 cue if I like it. And the problem of the badge being not aligned with the splicing is not existing on a 1pc cue if it is well made...
            I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

The interesting thing for me is how many of the very top players use 1 piece cues. Could just be coincidence but look at the semi final line up, only one player using a jointed cue, Robertson. Look at all the current top players, Higgins, Ronnie, Selby, Maguire, Murphy, Ding, Carter. Of the provisional top 10 for next season just 3 use a jointed cue and you have to wonder why that is. Personally for me a jointed cue was popular during the 80's and 90's because the tables were a fair bit slower than today so the extra weight of a jointed cue helped with moving the cueball around. Now as the game is played on ultra fast tables the touch is so important that I think many players just feel its easier to control the cueball with a 1 piece cue as its lighter and does give a much better feel though its subjective to the player and their ability.

Comment

Some of the top players, seem to be going back to 1 piece cues.

Comment

Has anyone tried a Wooldridge or a Stamford with that new joint thingy?

Comment

I always thought i could only use a one piece cue then i bought a 3/4 Dan Shelton cue and i can't fault it! I think cues with joints are that well made these days it doesn't make a differnce, it comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable playing with.Just my opinion..

Comment

The only problem with 1-piece cues is that they do warp over time, much more than jointed cues. I've had my 1-piece for ten years and it was perfectly straight when I got it but now it curves quite a lot to one side.

The good thing about them is that there is no joint - so there is no weakness in the shaft.

Comment

I had mine for over 30 years and it did not bend, until I took it out of the case, leaned it in corner of bedroom for some reason and forgot about it for several days. When I found it, it had bent ... the air went blue!

The moral of the story is, do not lean cues up a wall.

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
                          I had mine for over 30 years and it did not bend, until I took it out of the case, leaned it in corner of bedroom for some reason and forgot about it for several days. When I found it, it had bent ... the air went blue!

The moral of the story is, do not lean cues up a wall.
                          Well, you were lucky, and you must have taken good care of it for those 30 years.

Almost every single-piece cue I've picked up in my life has had a bend of some degree. Hendry's original cue was apparently bent almost an inch to one side. Mine is nearly as bad, but you get used to it and play to the bend.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                            The interesting thing for me is how many of the very top players use 1 piece cues. Could just be coincidence but look at the semi final line up, only one player using a jointed cue, Robertson. Look at all the current top players, Higgins, Ronnie, Selby, Maguire, Murphy, Ding, Carter. Of the provisional top 10 for next season just 3 use a jointed cue and you have to wonder why that is. Personally for me a jointed cue was popular during the 80's and 90's because the tables were a fair bit slower than today so the extra weight of a jointed cue helped with moving the cueball around. Now as the game is played on ultra fast tables the touch is so important that I think many players just feel its easier to control the cueball with a 1 piece cue as its lighter and does give a much better feel though its subjective to the player and their ability.
                            Yes, it seems like the trend is to go back to one piece.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

The current top 5 in the provisional rankings use a single piece cue i.e O'sullivan,Maguire,Murphy,Higgins and Carter.

If convenience was not an issue I would always prefer 1pc.
                              I travel a lot and play in several clubs so carrying a 1pc was a problem so I opted for a 3/4 cue.
                              My deep screw shot
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Working...
                              X