Snooker Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Rules

Hi I was playing in a tournament pink ball is hanging overm the Pocket.

My oppent unscrews his cue when i pocket the pink ball thus giving me the frame or game now cue ball keeps rolling and i skratch with the white ball what is the ruling on this situation. maybe someone knows

There's a very similar thread here http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=28482 (posted to within the last 24 hours) which deals with the same issue.

In my opinion the handshake is a matter of etiquette at the end of the frame. If the cue ball rolls on and enters a pocket then it is a foul and play may continue.

Comment

Unscrewing his cue unfortunately doesn't mean he has conceded... Like with Ronnies 147 the frame isn't over until the referee declares it over. I'm guessing there wasn't an official referee for this game and therefore it is the opponents duty to be a fair referee whilst you are in play, and likewise for you when he is in play. So, until he has congratulated you on your win and shaken your hand the game is still alive!!!

I've seen similar happen to someone I know... From now on if my opponent starts to put his cue away I don't play any shot, I just turn and ask him if he is conceding!?!?!
      Highest Break
      Practice: 136 (2005)
      Match: 134 (2006)
      In 2011: 94
      Centuries made: 50+

Comment

Hendry unscrewed his cue in one of the frames against Williams then screwed it together and played on when Williams missed.

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
          Hendry unscrewed his cue in one of the frames against Williams then screwed it together and played on when Williams missed.
          i was just about to say this lol...
          what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
            I've only ever did this once, against your good self JB in a club competition many MANY years ago. After the match which you won you pointed out that it was poor etiquette and I agreed. I've never done it again since.

In answer to original question, the unscrewing of the cue has no bearing on the fact that you played a foul shot and the frame continues but it's poor etiquette to unscrew your cue while your opponent is still at the table.

Comment

The idea comes from pool, where there is a rule in one of the many governing bodies that states if you unscrew your cue you have conceded as otherwise it would be a mind-game thing.

Now, for snooker how could we have this rule when there are so many 1-piece cues around so therefore it has never been in a rule book I've seen although in some places in Canada local rules take effect and often they are a blend of pool and snooker and in some cases even American Snooker Rules (like 2 balls must hit the cushion of the break).

Sorry Leonard, you opponent showed poor etiquette and some gamesmanship but there's no rule against it. In future stop playing and ask if he's conceded as has been advised here.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                The idea comes from pool, where there is a rule in one of the many governing bodies that states if you unscrew your cue you have conceded as otherwise it would be a mind-game thing.

Now, for snooker how could we have this rule when there are so many 1-piece cues around so therefore it has never been in a rule book I've seen although in some places in Canada local rules take effect and often they are a blend of pool and snooker and in some cases even American Snooker Rules (like 2 balls must hit the cushion of the break).

Sorry Leonard, you opponent showed poor etiquette and some gamesmanship but there's no rule against it. In future stop playing and ask if he's conceded as has been advised here.

Terry
                simple, if a player breaks his cue delibrately (by unscrewing whilst not "in play" or for one piece cues snapping over the knee or launching to the other side of the room etc....) deemed to have conceeded, unless notifys ref of another reason to be doing it.

Comment

In pool if you are on the final game and on the game winning ball and your opponent unscrews his cue while you are getting ready to shoot then he has indeed given you the match, but say if you guys are playing the first game of 9 ball in a race to 9 and he unscrews his cue it is not a concede. Snooker does not have this rule at all.
                  His unscrewing of his cue probably played some mind trick on you and made you more careless with the pot or at where your cue ball was going. It is very unfortunate some people do this type of thing trying to win.
                  I have been told that a hand shake does not mean concede in snooker. I have also been told that the frame ends only when the striker concedes or when the striker has made the frame winning ball or when the ref declares so (in the case of 3 misses and stalemate) or something to that effect.
                  Your opponent was not the striker so technically he cannot concede when you were shooting (someone please correct me if I am wrong on this)...
                  If the cue ball went into the pocket while you were still at the table after you have made the pink, the frame is still on and the foul would count I believe...but I am no expert in rules so it is just my opinion.
                  What does your friend Alain say about this?
                  Last edited by poolqjunkie; 11 December 2010, 09:30 PM.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                  X