Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professionalism needed?????

Garrrrrrrr.....

Lost my match tonight after being snookered on the yellow, we don;t play the miss rule in our league but I made a great escape but unluckily left him on the yellow and he cleared up and won the frame...

My question is this, given that we don't play the miss rule should I have been calous and not gone for the very tricky get out and just conceeded a few points and have still been in the frame?

From my own pint of view I can't abide cheating but would that have been cheating? I feel I'd have been cheating myself but Imight have won the frame had I not played the shot I did....

Hmmmmmmmmmm
    One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

No - because after hitting the yellow, you equally could have got it safe, or even left your opponent snookered or he could have missed or gone in-off to let you back in. You were unlucky to leave it on and him clear up. Some times its fractions that make the difference. Plus people that cheat cheat themselves - in the long run.

I always declare fouls and sometimes it costs me, but have had incidences in matches when it's repaid me and I've won in the end.

If you and enough other players want the mis rule, you could bring it up at your league AGM....:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerpoolman View Post
      No - because after hitting the yellow, you equally could have got it safe, or even left your opponent snookered or he could have missed or gone in-off to let you back in. You were unlucky to leave it on and him clear up. Some times its fractions that make the difference. Plus people that cheat cheat themselves - in the long run.

I always declare fouls and sometimes it costs me, but have had incidences in matches when it's repaid me and I've won in the end.

If you and enough other players want the mis rule, you could bring it up at your league AGM....:snooker:
      Exactly how I felt, plus if somebody clears up you just have to say fair enough, was still gutted though as I played pretty well and he had the rub of the green all frame what with flukes and me leaving him on at the crunch!

I probably will raise the miss ruke at the next agm as it is part of the game, could lead to problems wit hpeople not understanding it though, which is why I think it's not used.

Comment

The question you are asking should not be directed at us, the real question is "if I didn't make my best effort and I won the frame could I sleep straight in my bed tonight"? That question should be answered by you and no-one else.

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
          The question you are asking should not be directed at us, the real question is "if I didn't make my best effort and I won the frame could I sleep straight in my bed tonight"? That question should be answered by you and no-one else.
          I recon I'd have slept great as I'm a top sleeper, however I would not have felt good about it during my waking hours for certain!

Feel a little gutted this morning about it, he was their best player and I was feeling good, best take the confidence from that I guess and think about the possitives!

Comment

So what's the point of winning if you wouldn't have felt good?

There's your answer.

Comment

So what's the point of winning if you wouldn't have felt good?

There's your answer.
              Should we mail this thread to all the footballers out there?

Comment

Originally Posted by DWOT View Post
                Should we mail this thread to all the footballers out there?
                Footballers? It's far too late to save that bunch of cheating...(long list of expletives ommitted to avoid the wrath of the moderators!!)

Comment

Funny that. I know loads if guys who wouldn't kick their ball in the rough at golf or foul a red and not declare it at snooker and yet support a team of overpaid cheats at football.

It's just what's become acceptable in a given sport I suppose.

Comment

Funny that. I know loads if guys who wouldn't kick their ball in the rough at golf or foul a red and not declare it at snooker and yet support a team of overpaid cheats at football.

It's just what's become acceptable in a given sport I suppose.
                    I might take a dive near the black spot next week and see if I get awarded seven points and a free ball!
                    Last edited by DWOT; 12 January 2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

You done the right thing for me mate I know I can only play the game fairly and what happens happens after you've give it your best. Just get him next time

Comment

I agree also in that you did the right thing. The problem with the miss rule is its application by non-qualified referees. There are hundreds of threads about this on the forum, so I shant start another (fingers crossed).
                        I remember once playing in the Bebbington league. I called a foul on myself when in for at least a 50 break. Neither the 'referee' or my opponent noticed it. I still went on though, to win the frame. After, my captain (the 'referee') said that he wouldn't have minded if I had lost as I had owned up to the foul.
                        You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

All in all, Yer I did the right thing....

Thanks for the frames and advice yesterday Dave, what a fantastic venue for snooker that is. Nice 68 break too from you! I feel that my game is slowly getting there and have to remember how much I've improved since I returned to playing the game, one day soon I know I'm going to have a really decent break and that will give me some good confidence as I can't help but think that once you get past 50 once it can free you up!

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
                            Footballers? It's far too late to save that bunch of cheating...(long list of expletives ommitted to avoid the wrath of the moderators!!)
                            well said, cant think of any other sport that try and cheat like they do

Comment

I did get called for a miss once in an inter-league match but have never been pulled up in the local league itself, suppose the higher up the ladder you go its more likely to apply, though the general rule seems to be that it doesn't apply in the lower echelons of snooker.

I'd always try to escape from the snooker but in a such a way that it doesn't leave an easy pot should I miss it, so not necessarily the easiest escape route but to get the best desired result whether I hit it or not.

Which I suppose is why the miss rule came in, as people were taking harder routes knowing that they were putting themselves at less risk of losing the frame because of it.

Though with scoring generally far less heavy at local levels, its maybe not quite such a big factor anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                              X