Fibre Ferrule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fibre Ferrule

I heard Dennis Taylor chatting to Willie Thorne about ash versus maple on the BBC worlds coverage. Largely avoiding the question set by Willie in commentary, about which wood is preferable, he went on to say that the biggest difference for him was brass or 'fibre' ferrules. I haven't a clue what he was on about (and I largely find his commentary rather uninformative, how I miss the expertise of Clive Everton), does anyone here know what he means? I've only come across metal (brass/copper) or plastic ferrules (Kirk Stevens famously used a plastic ferrule on his Canadian maple cue). Fibre?!

On another note, has anyone played with Pear or Hornbeam, and what's it like compared to ash or maple? Pear looks like maple but cue makers say it is more whippy like ash, is this true?
    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Fibre Ferrule

have played wiv a pear cue but it was thick tapered so it wasnt whippy was a good cue just takes a while to get use to

Comment

Shane, do you mean the feel of the wood in the V, or stiffness of cue or both?

Comment

Fibre Ferrule

mean how the pear wood cue reacts its very different to maple and ash the pear feels just like a maple threw the bridge very smooth wiv the pear wood it's a soft hit mite try it again as my mate still as it

Comment

So, a wood for the feel players, who like delicate shots then?

Comment

Fibre Ferrule

yeah u can play power shots aswell but feels very good wen your in the balls

Comment

A fibre ferrule is what you call plastic and they are used a lot in Canada and also in pool. However there are different types of composite material which go into making what's called a 'fiber' ferrule. Generally the fiber ferrules will be lighter than brass and result in less throw when using siding (or unintentional side).

I have a beautiful Glover Hornbeam shafted cue with 12 splices on it, snakewood, ebony and another brown wood (maybe thuya burr but not sure as am no wood expert). I tried it and I think the hornbeam must be more dense than ash or maple as the balance point of this cue is up around 19" and it weighs more than 18oz. I haven't really given it a good test as the Canadians are coming up in mid-June and I've qualified so I'm strictly using my TW playing cue right now (just had it refurbished by Trevor and weighted up a bit and it's playing great and feel and looks like a new cue).

If anyone is interested in a great hornbeam cue this one I'll sell for $700(CAN) plus shipping. It has a butt socket but no extensions although it takes the Omin, Robin Cook or ROsborne type spiral butt socket fitting. Cue is 57.5" in length, weighs approx 18.5oz (have to weigh it again) with 29mm butt diameter. Perfectly straight too. Pm me.

Terry

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I have been experimenting with different materials and do find a difference between brass and steel and fibre. The thickness of ferrule does make a difference too. I have used hornbeam and it plays very similar to ash but without the grain.
                Probably all just down to individual preference.
                "Don't think, feel"

Comment

I used a plastic ferrule on a converted Powerglide ash cue, and the feel was much better than brass. I guess this is because a plastic ferrule is closer in density to wood, and transferring the feel, impact, vibration up the shaft to the butt is what we're after. I'm surprised that cue makes don't use nylon ferrules which would be as hard as metal (actually harder in some respects) but giving more feel. I agree doc, the thinner the ferrule the better. It's only really there to stop the shaft chipping and splitting anyway I guess? Afterall, we play with a tip, not a ferrule?

Not sure about Hornbeam Terry, I didn't like that dense stiff thud on the maple I bought and hornbeam is more dense?

Comment

Have you read about Mike's new 'Blackspin' ferrule system.....

http://www.handmadecues.com/cues/22-blackspin.htm
                    Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                    Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                      Have you read about Mike's new 'Blackspin' ferrule system.....

http://www.handmadecues.com/cues/22-blackspin.htm
                      Like the end bit "once you go black you'll never go back" lol

Comment

Interesting stuff, what is the black material though? Come in Cuefather! I've always thought the N. Americans were onto something, using a plastic with a similar density to wood. I was right! A lot of folk in clubs poo poo anything that isn't traditional, but like I've always said, using brass at the end of the shaft or as a joint is detrimental to feel, you are fitting a mini brass hammer into some fabulous wood. Who'd be crazy enough to do that?! I've got me new 1 piece and I ain't goin back. What Mike needs to do now, is introduce this material into the joint for those who insist on a jointed cue. I know he has an internal vacuum joint on the go, so there is an outer wood to wood contact; maybe this material could improve his joint even further?

Comment

How much does a retrofit cost?

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                            How much does a retrofit cost?
                            Mike hasn't decided yet, he said when his shop opens again it will be in there.

Comment

Working...
                            X