Cue oil soaked in tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue oil soaked in tip

Once when I applied cue oil to my cue, it accidentally touched the tip. After that, I haven' played with the cue and went for re-tipping.

When the tip removed, cue oil is found having been soaked into the wood under the tip. The wood has also 'float' up a bit and therefore the boss in the shop use a cutter to make it flat.

Just want to know:
    1) Would the oil affect the new tip ?
    2) After the cue oil been 'absorbed', would the wood 'sink' due to some having been removed ?

Cue oil soaked in tip

Soaked under the tip? Do you mean where the ferrule is? Also float up? You mean bulge so the shaft sticks out slightly above the ferrule? Cutter I'm guessing is a chisel if I'm right in thinking what your talking about then the wood will dry out but I can't see it being that bad. If it is then you might be better having it shortened by a few mm and a new ferrule on. Can't really see how the would has expanded on the end of the shaft with oil (being a carpenter) unless the shaft end had no protection on the end grain but even then surprised it caused problems? I'm sure someone with better knowledge will be able to answer your question better than me. Just doesn't make sense.

Comment

i would have to agree, i haven't seen oil make a peice of wood expand, usually it just soaks into the wood to protect it.

i would have thought that water would expand the wood, so unless u have tried to wipe your cue down with a wet cloth and not removed excess water i'm as puzzled as Chris to why oil would have that effect.

Alabbadi

Comment

I would hazard a guess that the wood "rise" mentioned was probably already there under the previous tip, and not expanded by the oil that snuck under the tip.
        I have come across many cues that had a tenon of wood above the level of the ferrule - even when the owner swears blind that it is flush
        The new tip will not be affected by the oil as I hope this will have been removed along with the excess wood and fitted properly with the ferrule.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

wood will only absorb the oil it needs, everything else can be wiped off - all sounds a bit fishy to me!
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

As I mentioned I think the original tip was not totally flat with the ferrule because of the tenon and the oil went under the tip.
            Only when that tip was removed was the tenon noticed and the assumption of swelling by the oil.
            Hopefully all fixed now with the tenon removed.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              As I mentioned I think the original tip was not totally flat with the ferrule because of the tenon and the oil went under the tip.
              Only when that tip was removed was the tenon noticed and the assumption of swelling by the oil.
              Hopefully all fixed now with the tenon removed.
              Thank you for all the advices. Actually, I had changed tips before this incident but not sure if it's originally flat or as DeanH said there was tenon there. After changing the tip after this incident, I've played for 6 hours and seems normal. Anyway, I plan to change the tip in winter around Nov or Dec to see if there would be any issues in the flatness of the wood.

Comment

Working...
              X