stance and back problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stance and back problems

I was wondering if the snooker stance could be bad for the back in the long term ( like to worsen scoliosis). You must twist your hips and this put the back in a un-natural position with the lower back twisted... especially when you play in pool tables which are lower and you must twist the hips more.
    What do you think?

I'm 67-1/2yrs old and have been playing snooker on and off for over 50 years now and I have had a few glitches now and again as far as muscle/ligament pain but once I got into a proper set-up I haven't had any problems for the past 7 years.

If you do the set-up correctly without any tension anywhere in the body you shouldn't cause problems, even with playing pool on the lower tables. If you happen to be very tall then you will have to find the right set-up for your height.

One way to check for any tension is to get down into the address position and then stay there nice and still for at least one minute or more and see if any part of the body starts to strain. If it does then get back down into position and close the eyes and make adjustments that alleviate the tension.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

That's a good idea I'll have to try Terry. I'm 6 ft 4 in tall and consequently have always suffered back problems. If it's not lower back strain, or upper back pain, it's neck ache. The only bit of my spine I don't suffer with is the middle bit. Therefore that's my favourite bit of my back!
      I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Working...
      X