ruling question about double hit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ruling question about double hit

Hello my friend and i came across a situation where he potted a red then went to play safe by rolling in behind the yellow but he double hit the cue ball accidently. We figured it was a foul but now I'm snookered behind the yellow whats the call here? do I get free ball or does it get respotted as a foul and a miss for him to try again. Thanks for any input.

Well it can't be a foul and a miss, as he didn't miss it !
    So that would be a foul, 4 away, and by the sounds of things a free ball situation. But maybe not much use to you behind the yellow, so make him play again

Comment

jrc750 has it right.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        Well it can't be a foul and a miss, as he didn't miss it !
        So that would be a foul, 4 away, and by the sounds of things a free ball situation. But maybe not much use to you behind the yellow, so make him play again
        I'm probably getting myself really confused here but I thought the rules changed after Ronnie's incident where he accidentally feathered another ball whilst he was in a difficult snooker ...

I never understood the new rule (it was way too complicated for my little brain) but using the judgement of Solomon, I would say if you fail to make a legal contact with a ball on, then a foul and a miss should be available ...

TangoT's opponent clearly failed to make a legal contact with the yellow, he fouled by hitting the white twice, so I think Solomon would say that was a foul and a miss ... whether the miss option is any use to TangoT is a different matter ...

I'm not saying you're wrong jrc, indeed you're probably right, I'm just confused as I thought the new rule was supposed to stop players being able to get out of a "foul and miss" call by accidentally or on purpose committing a different foul ...

Comment

he did hit the yellow

Comment

Originally Posted by TangoT View Post
            he did hit the yellow
            did he hit the white twice before hitting the yellow or did he hit the white onto the yellow and then the cue made a second contact with the white after it had hit the yellow ...

I'm not sure it makes any difference to the rules as they stand or my "Solomon" rules but I'd like to know

Comment

Maybe he hit the white twice and the yellow at the same time since the cue ball was already really close to the yellow and he needed a really delicate hit

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                I'm probably getting myself really confused here but I thought the rules changed after Ronnie's incident where he accidentally feathered another ball whilst he was in a difficult snooker ...

I never understood the new rule (it was way too complicated for my little brain) but using the judgement of Solomon, I would say if you fail to make a legal contact with a ball on, then a foul and a miss should be available ...

TangoT's opponent clearly failed to make a legal contact with the yellow, he fouled by hitting the white twice, so I think Solomon would say that was a foul and a miss ... whether the miss option is any use to TangoT is a different matter ...

I'm not saying you're wrong jrc, indeed you're probably right, I'm just confused as I thought the new rule was supposed to stop players being able to get out of a "foul and miss" call by accidentally or on purpose committing a different foul ...
                I think you are getting a little confused, as you said. In this instance, a foul was committed and the strikers turn came to an end. Foul and 4 points, and a free ball. The foul and miss rule Section 3 : 14 states
                'The striker shall, to the best of his ability, endeavor to hit the ball ON. If the referee considers the rule infringed, he shall call Foul and a miss unless only the Black remains on the table, or a situation exists where it is impossible to hit the ball ON provided that he plays, directly or indirectly, at the ball ON with sufficient strength, in the referee's opinion, to have reached the ball ON but for the obstructing ball or balls'
                Yes Tango T's opponent failed to make a legal contact - but that doesn't make it a miss. If makes it a foul. If you 'feather' a ball in the process of making a stroke, ie as in your case about ROS, it cannot be a miss. A foul was committed before the ball was struck, or as the ball was being struck, so the strikers turn comes to an end before the shot was completed. In the ROS incident - was this where he was playing Higgins and trying to play the ball away from the pack of reds to strike a colour? if this is the case, it was not a miss . Higgins' only choice was to play himself, put ROS in again (but would be playing red, not the snookered colour) because it was only a foul. . Look at Section 11 (Fouls) (I) If a striker, when snookered or hampered in anyway, (ROS) fouls any ball including the cue ball while preparing to play a stroke, if requested by his opponent to play again, the opponent (JH) shall have the choice as to whether the ball ON shall be the same as it was prior to the infringement
                This is where you are getting confused. The amendment was to the "Foul" rule. The Foul and a miss is a different animal.
                I think that is the rule amendment you meant after the ROS incident

Comment

thanks tommy for that very clear explanation ... I am a lot less confused now and stand corrected regarding my earlier post ...

Comment

Working...
                  X