Ladies Snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies Snooker

IMHO we dont get to see enough of the ladies snooker, especially the top lady players.....why is that? (ok less popular and less players per population ratio maybe....but why?)

think itd be good to get dvds made of the ladies comps, even if it be on one camera per table, available to download or buy from ______ [world snooker]

Surely the standard of top matches would be of interest to make even this contribution viable

hi Sem

interesting indeed!!! a few days ago i watched some snooker vids on google & came across some good frames including Reanne Evans (one camera angle tho), she was playing sublime snooker (right handed/left handed/good break building), have to say i really enjoyed it and would love to see more...

hope they start airing at least the Ladies World Championships someday

just googled Reanne Evans & came across this (Reanne Evans Vs Joe Perry), haven't seen the whole of it yet... enjoy

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...61915160858338

Comment

have seen lots of it, but thats over the years.

theses days, recording matches and putting them online for download and or available for sale by post doesnt seem like a whole lot of work, especially as the WSA seem to have decent finaces compared to......still, would be nice, even for a flavour to the ladies game for those whove not seen it much

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
        IMHO we dont get to see enough of the ladies snooker, especially the top lady players.....why is that? (ok less popular and less players per population ratio maybe....but why?)
        Price money is VERY low. Therefore the outlook for young talented girls is not really attractive. As a parent I would certainly hesitate to encourage my daughter in this "profession". Wendy Jans, the best Belgian lady and one of the current top ladies cannot at all make a living on snooker. That's why she also and now mainly plays pool in US. This is a chicken and egg situation: the overall quality of competion can only raise if young girls are attracted to the game with realistic living prospects.
        The solution may be to allow them to compete with the boys ... Currently they would have a hard time, but also some real perpectives.
        Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
        http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique
          Price money is VERY low. Therefore the outlook for young talented girls is not really attractive. As a parent I would certainly hesitate to encourage my daughter in this "profession". Wendy Jans, the best Belgian lady and one of the current top ladies cannot at all make a living on snooker. That's why she also and now mainly plays pool in US. This is a chicken and egg situation: the overall quality of competion can only raise if young girls are attracted to the game with realistic living prospects.
          The solution may be to allow them to compete with the boys ... Currently they would have a hard time, but also some real perpectives.
          cheers Mon

yip, maybe scrapping the ladies, and making it solely mixed entry would see a rise in younger females aspiring to become top 32, or much better.

top 16 in snooker is the "good living" part of it...depending what one considers a good wage....anyway, thats another debate

wendy is a cracking player. in fact, theres been about 10 or so that i can remember who would win matches against many men, and in rankers, but we all know that the standard is tough to get through qualifiers

in the meantime, while there is a ladies game, id like to see more of it, and single cameras recording matches, then copied, wouldnt cost too much to produce, and the price reflected by the recording quality

id buy it

Comment

The Wytech World Ladies Masters will be videoed - 2 cameras, fixed position 2 tables on 15th September at North East Derbyshire Snooker Club, Clay Cross.

There MAY be a live stream accessed through GlobalCueSportsCentre.com if we can arrange broadband connectivity at the venue, otherwise edited footage will be available.

Live scoring will also be presented on the Internet at GCS Ladies section on the day.

The Ladies UK will be played the following day and will also be videoed and uploaded to the internet after the matches. Live scoring agan through GCS.

From my perspective, father of www.hannahjones.co.uk , more information about the ladies game, publicity etc needs to be created in order generate interest from the ladies to swell the ranks of the players which in turn will interest the businesses to promote themselves through the tournaments which in turn will increase the prize money and in turn increase the number of players in the game etc etc. I am trying my best to create a future ladies game for my daughter to compete in. It needs help from many quarters but if that isn't available then it's off to america with the other ladies - of she still wants to play in a few years. From my perspective we have a club that had no ladies playing but now has at least 5 girls under the age of 15 who are very keen to play the game.

Anyway - enjoy the footage from the Masters and the Ladies UK when it is uploaded. I shall post on here when it is done.
            You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't

Comment

please do that wyt147 & best of luck to your daughter

i for one would luv to see the ladies game prosper, i have a few female friends that play the game & it's great when they compile a decent break... very admirable & lovely to watch

Comment

thanks for the post and update

structural change then? / or could there be a scheme where winners of the bigger ladies tournaments get invites to compete as wilcards at non rankers

does that happen just now?

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
                  thanks for the post and update

structural change then? / or could there be a scheme where winners of the bigger ladies tournaments get invites to compete as wilcards at non rankers

does that happen just now?
                  The Wytech ladies masters is a completely new event.

This year it was based on the World Top 4 from last year:
                  4 players who have impressed the WLBSA throughout the year
                  2 discretionary wildcards: Hannah and Joanne who have proven they have the talent and dedication as well as producing some good results but mainly because they are sponsored by Wytech.

After this event we shall see whether this format is fine or whether we have to refine it. For starters Hannah and Joanne will have to earn their place next year....

Comment

i was actually thinking why not have an exhibition match between 2 of the top 4 or 5 ladies along side each of the rankers? IMO, that could generate more interst, wouldn't it?

Comment

Interesting point and I agree. I have only recently been thinking on those lines but not yet, will need to think more on it and start to generate finances and interst in the concept. I have to get the Masters out of the way first, takes alot of planning to run these events and as I do it with some help from people in my spare time whilst trying to help Hannah develop as a player it takes its toll on me. So after the Masters I will chat to a few people about the possiblity of doing an exhibition.

Comment

Originally Posted by wyt147
                        Interesting point and I agree. I have only recently been thinking on those lines but not yet, will need to think more on it and start to generate finances and interst in the concept. I have to get the Masters out of the way first, takes alot of planning to run these events and as I do it with some help from people in my spare time whilst trying to help Hannah develop as a player it takes its toll on me. So after the Masters I will chat to a few people about the possiblity of doing an exhibition.
                        Televised of course....

Comment

wyt147 (or anyone else who wishes to answer/guess)

is there the possibility of a top player sponsoring a young female player with the potential to "make it"? (if it doesnt already happen)

Comment

Originally Posted by wyt147
                            Televised of course....
                            but of course how else will we watch it?

Comment

Don't think it does happen to be honest. If you mean a top lady player then you would think of Reanne who has won everything but who doesn't have the money to sponsor anyone else. If anything she needs the sponsorship continue playing and to win more titles, unless Mark Allen wins a few more quid in the coming years in which case he will probably sponsor her .

Not sure any other players would be concerned about sponsoring a young female player, also with the possiblilty that the female player may not carry on playing snooker as she grows older and develops then it is a hit or miss issue.

Be interesting to see what others write.

Comment

Working...
                              X