Who was this referee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was this referee?

Back in the 1980s, I recall that there was a small storm-in-a-teacup when a referee on the panel for the world championship was one of those to be dispensed with when they reached the latter stages of the tournament. This fellow was so aggrieved at being dumped (as he saw it) that he got himself a TV interview by David Vine to air his discontent, although he was totally unable to say why he should have been retained beyond the obvious fact that he was a snooker referee!

It was standard practice that some of the referees on the panel were not used in the latter stages, so he had no cause for complaint and the whole affair was slightly bizarre - and soon forgotten. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could recall the man's name and whether he ever refereed in professional snooker again after that episode.

I don't remember this. In those days John Williams and Len Ganley always got the finals of the World Championship didn't they. Rather like now when it's shared between Jan Verhaas and Eirian Williams.

Comment

Can't say I remember this. As a matter of interest, here are the World final referee's. Be hard to fill in the missing ones now, I feel! I'm pretty sure all those held at Thurston's in the 30's would have been done by the great Charlie Chambers.

Can't help but think that Alan Chamberlain deserves to have done more than one final, for he's been ever present at the Crucible for well over 20-years. Since 1985-ish, at a guess.

World final referee’s: -
      1927 Bill Camkin
      1940 Charlie Chambers
      1952 (BACC)
      1952 (PPA)
      (Challenges)
      1970 (Apr)
      1970 (Nov)
      1973 Bill Timms
      1974 Bill Timms
      1976 Bill Timms (replaced by John Williams)
      1977 John Smyth
      1978 John Williams
      1979 John Williams
      1980 John Street
      1981 John Williams
      1982 John Smyth
      1983 Len Ganley
      1984 Jim Thorpe
      1985 John Williams
      1986 John Street
      1987 Len Ganley
      1988 John Williams
      1989 John Street
      1990 Len Ganley
      1991 John Williams
      1992 John Street
      1993 Len Ganley
      1994 John Williams
      1995 John Street
      1996 John Williams
      1997 Alan Chamberlain
      1998 Lawrie Annandale
      1999 Colin Brinded
      2000 John Newton
      2001 Eirian Williams
      2002 John Williams
      2003 Jan Verhaas
      2004 Paul Collier
      2005 Eirian Williams
      2006 Jan Verhaas
      2007 Eirian Williams
      2008 Jan Verhaas
      Last edited by Cyril; 30 April 2008, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Interesting that Alan Chamberlain did 1997 but has never been given the final since.

Comment

Originally Posted by stuartfanning View Post
          Interesting that Alan Chamberlain did 1997 but has never been given the final since.
          Age discrimination mate!

Comment

id like to see Paul do another. (he was visiting the crucible last week)

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer View Post
              id like to see Paul do another. (he was visiting the crucible last week)
              Paul Collier resigned as a World Snooker referee some time ago.

As to Alan Chamberlain. Maybe he should go to Hazel Irving and ask to be interviewed about him being passed over all these years!

Comment

Paul Collier resigned as a World Snooker referee some time ago.
                i am aware hes not refereeing WS matches, but id like to see him back and refereeing another WCF

Comment

They should have an old "Referee's Parade", like they do for the former winners. lol

"Lets here it for Len Ganley, John Williams, John Street, John Newton..."

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer View Post
                    i am aware hes not refereeing WS matches, but id like to see him back and refereeing another WCF
                    Paul continues to referee the PartyBets.com Premiere League Snooker on Sky Sports.

Last edited by stuartfanning; 30 April 2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Paul continues to referee the PartyBets.com Premiere League Snooker on Sky Sports.

i know that too

the point i was making was that id like Paul to have another WSF under his belt....

Comment

John Street was one of my favourite referee's from the past! Apart from being a quality ref i always found him to be very approachable and friendly.
                        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Is it true that only Verhaas and Williams are employed as full-time refs by World Snooker? If so presumeably all the others have had to get other jobs

Comment

So when will Michaela get a World final? Could it be this year? Everyone seems to rate her as one of the best referees around (quite apart from being the best looking one).

Comment

Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
                              So when will Michaela get a World final? Could it be this year? Everyone seems to rate her as one of the best referees around (quite apart from being the best looking one).
                              Verhaas is doing this year but I reckon she will do it next year as Williams did it last year.
                              TSF World Champion 2010
                              TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
                              BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Working...
                              X