Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average shot time/safety success

Hi

I was wondering if someone could confirm what average shot time actually is a measure of?

Is it the average of duration where a player is at the table deciding on which shot to take, the step in, feathering and execution and stops timing as soon as the cue ball moves and starts again as soon as all balls have come to a stop?

Or does it also include the time that the balls are in motion?

This could make for a difference for the faster players.

In a similar vein, how does safety success work?

Many thanks and stay safe
    Oliver

The time should be what is officially defined as "Stroke".
    The start and end of the timing is when all balls coming to rest, all balls spotted, and any ancillary equipment removed.
    I say 'should' because in actuality the timing is done by when the marker or referee clicks the score from one player to another, when you see the "player in play" indicator swap on the scoreboard. Now this is often as defined but if you see the Referee using a Clicker (when there is no Marker) to do the scoreboard and often this does not work immediately as it should, so the Average Shot time is definitively Average

Safety Success - I think there is some intern being paid peanuts out back making notes
    I think that apart from the Score and the extrapolated AST, the marker and referee at the table does not do any other stat.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks Dean.

So on TV when the indicator switches from player A to player B, that is controlled by the referee? That’s good to know, I always assumed the TV crew managed that.

is the marker the person who the referee refers to if a shot is replayed?

Cheers

Comment

Aah, the marker does it if there is a marker

cool

Comment

the Marker is the person the referee confers with - their role is to keep score, assist the referee in anything the referee requires, and to manage the electronic score boards.
          Also, if there is the system, they will assist the referee with replacing balls - you have seen this many times with the replay/compare of before/after
          The AST is electronically extrapolated from when the change player happens.

You will note that the Marker often looks down before doing the electronic board, they are manually marking the score/shot/break on the official Match score sheet, you often see the player signing this at the end of the match.
          When there is no marker, the referee uses a "clicker" (official name ) to change the scores and indicate change of player. This again with be electronically extrapolated for the AST.
          You will also see the referee using the paper match sheet at the end of each frame and get the player signature at the end.
          Last edited by DeanH; 30 April 2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

This is good stuff.

This might be a bit nerdy, but if the referee is keeping score without a marker, does his device let him say eg. that was a black, so add 7 or that was a pink so add 6 etc?

I suppose most of the games that make TV will have a marker and you would probably need to be at a tournament to see a referee only match?

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker_bhoy View Post
              Thanks Dean.

So on TV when the indicator switches from player A to player B, that is controlled by the referee? That’s good to know, I always assumed the TV crew managed that.

is the marker the person who the referee refers to if a shot is replayed?

Cheers
              As far as I'm aware, with televised matches the score banner overlay is totally independent from that used by the referee/WST so that may not correlate exactly with what's on the table scoreboard. The commentators/summarisers, however, will have access to the WST stats when they make comments.

Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

This is good stuff.

This might be a bit nerdy, but if the referee is keeping score without a marker, does his device let him say eg. that was a black, so add 7 or that was a pink so add 6 etc?

I suppose most of the games that make TV will have a marker and you would probably need to be at a tournament to see a referee only match?
                yes, it has six coloured buttons and a F(foul) and a Back/correct button, I did have a photo of one once I will see if I can find it.#

As LondonLad has said, the TV display is independent to the WST scoreboard, and I think all the stats you see on TV are from the TV people behind the scenes and not WST.

Comment

I could imagine the marker dreading a snooker where a player attempts to come off the black cushion to get a glancing hit and back to Baulk going wrong and disturbing most of the reds and then having to talk through if the shot is replayed

Comment

Going back to the safety success; so would you say it was a bit subjective based on the view of the people making the notes?

eg was that an attempt at a safety or an attempt at a pot or some of each etc?

Comment

I could imagine the marker dreading a snooker where a player attempts to come off the black cushion to get a glancing hit and back to Baulk going wrong and disturbing most of the reds and then having to talk through if the shot is replayed
                      well not the marker but the referee dreading that situation

the marker just has to flick a couple of switches :wink:

Comment

I was watching the Paul Hunter v Ken Doherty replay and thought it was excellent.

i never really knew much about his game as I was living in Sydney for a long time and never saw much snooker, but he seemed like a great person.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

yes, it has six coloured buttons and a F(foul) and a Back/correct button, I did have a photo of one once I will see if I can find it.#

As LondonLad has said, the TV display is independent to the WST scoreboard, and I think all the stats you see on TV are from the TV people behind the scenes and not WST.
                          Had a day trip to Bathgate snooker centre, to play on the star tables, my pal and me were shown how to use the hand held electric scorer, as Dean says it has all the buttons you need.
                          we just used the old slidey scoreboard, too technical for us
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                          X