No announcement yet.

FTO hotpot & totlxtc only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Take my hat orf to you flame. Only wish I could do it.
    :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by flame View Post
      hotpot you know the reason for this,please don't let on to Dan he will laugh his tips off,anyway a few pics of my first attempt at making a cue,(have been practising on scrap material for some time,thought i would now give it a go,Dan don't laugh at this either.Will post pics as i progress.
      How wide are your ebony splices at the thickest point???

They appear pretty thick in the image, though it's not easy to see I know.

If they are too thick, you'll be wasting a lot of timber unecessarily.

Were these cut yourself from a blank, and if so, what size was the blank and how many splices do you get from one blank?

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
        How wide are your ebony splices at the thickest point???

They appear pretty thick in the image, though it's not easy to see I know.

If they are too thick, you'll be wasting a lot of timber unecessarily.

Were these cut yourself from a blank, and if so, what size was the blank and how many splices do you get from one blank?
        i had a blank 50mm square,cut the splices myself at 15mm,i got 8 splices from the blank

Comment

i had a blank 50mm square,cut the splices myself at 15mm,i got 8 splices from the blank
          the blank was 24ins long so i could get the right taper for my 18.5in spilces.

Comment

I'm not understanding how it's possible to get eight splices of 18" length from a blank of only 24" length, with a maximum end thickness to each splice of 15mm, from a blank measuring just 50mm square.

If you cut four of the splices with the thicker end facing either side of the blank, that would mean you'd have an overall material thickness of 60mm, and that's without the kerf from any saw cuts, which is likely to be at least 1mm, and there will be at least three of those.

That would mean you'd have to begin with a blank of over 60mm square wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
              You are doing a great job flame.

Thanks for the link back to when you made your first cue totlxtc. I do not know how you blokes can do such things. Good luck to you. Only wish I could do that sort of thing, but will just have to stick to building radio control planes.

:snooker:
              Impressive work that......Fun too I bet.

Comment

i cut a 15mm piece leaving 50mm by 32mm, rotated it 90 degrees then cut three more pieces at 32mm by 15mm, i now had 4 pieces 32mm by 15mm(after reducing the first from 50mm)i then cut 2 tapers from each piece,leaving me with 8 tapers 18.5in long 32mm wide tapering from 15mm to 2mm.

Comment

hotpot you know the reason for this,please don't let on to Dan he will laugh his tips off,anyway a few pics of my first attempt at making a cue,(have been practising on scrap material for some time,thought i would now give it a go,Dan don't laugh at this either.Will post pics as i progress.
                  latest pic
                  Last edited by flame; 28 June 2010, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Coming along really well flame ,

whats the specs on her

Comment

That's very impressive! Brilliant!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                        Coming along really well flame ,

whats the specs on her
                        i have left it at 59.5ins, so i can adjust the taper to suit,i need to add a little weight probably as it will end up at approx 16.5 ozs

Comment

i have left it at 59.5ins, so i can adjust the taper to suit,i need to add a little weight probably as it will end up at approx 16.5 ozs
                          will need advise on weight material,anybody got the relevant info.

Comment

well that was quick work !

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              well that was quick work !
                              jrc are you having a laugh.

Comment

not at all mate, but your first pic was only 4 days ago ??? have you been working round the clock - i was expecting it to take weeks not days

Comment

Working...
                                X