This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovely J......leave it as a round butt
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• flat, leather and rounded with a fine finsh

ncd with this one neil, maybe the next..
      Last edited by j6uk; 12 May 2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Good to see an honest looking 1-piece, traditionally made, with no butt plugs and 3/4 joint. Hills are hard to avoid if you use the fine sanding finish as the grain and in between are different hardnesses and densities which is why so many use grain filler, short cut method. I shave down an ash shaft and used the same kind of finish, it's really different in the bridge but more of a natural feel if that makes sense?

I like your traditional finish though, not many cues are finished like this these days. Most have prominent black grain. Yeah, first time I saw the whole bloodsplice I was wow that's in your face. The extra brown splice breaks it up nicely without taking away the striking colour red. Looks good buddy.
        Last edited by Master Blaster; 12 May 2015, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• really nice post post blaster, you get where im coming from. yes breaking up the front splice was a must, an iv got quite a bit of wenge veneers so it all came together really well
          Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
          Good to see an honest looking 1-piece, traditionally made, with no butt plugs and 3/4 joint. Hills are hard to avoid if you use the fine sanding finish as the grain and in between are different hardnesses and densities which is why so many use grain filler, short cut method. I shave down an ash shaft and used the same kind of finish, it's really different in the bridge but more of a natural feel if that makes sense?

I like your traditional finish though, not many cues are finished like this these days. Most have prominent black grain. Yeah, first time I saw the whole bloodsplice I was wow that's in your face. The extra brown splice breaks it up nicely without taking away the striking colour red. Looks good buddy.

Comment

• That last cue looks very nice J, good work!
            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• there will be a vid of the last cue within the next few days but, there are more cues coming through

Comment

• the latest cue coming through, an its gonna get a double splice

Comment

• and heres a few responcive rack cues i picked out of a box of 50. as you can see iv removed the off set weights and given them the full hand plane treatment. they'll be reweighted, spliced an taken through a table workout within the next few weeks

Comment

• oldschool, i don't have any maple at the moment but heres some tight grain ash that i could give a glass finish to

Comment

• I think your badge should say 'J6 Traditional....Hand Planed and Hand Made in the UK'

Unlike a lot of fakers importing shafts from Thailand, you've earned the right through hard work to this title.

Cues resting on a playpen; they're you babies!
                      Last edited by Master Blaster; 18 May 2015, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• j6 cue stories

It's going to have to be a bloody big badge to get all that on.
                        #jeSuisByrom

Comment

• I have brought ash dowls from Thailand and made cues out of them. Where do you suppose I am going to get quality ash here in good old South Africa. Just because I got an ash dowl from elsewhere does that mean I have less of a skill at making a cue than anyone else or that I have cheated someone. Thats part of the reason I have never offered anyone any of my cues here cos of this exact sentiment towards anyone not using a piece of square timber. I have tried with ash sourced from here but the ash was of very poor quality and i gave up trying, I now have many hundred quid of 4 year old air dried pieces of crap timber but hey according to you they would make excellant cues.
                          Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                          I think your badge should say 'J6 Traditional....Hand Planed and Hand Made in the UK'

Unlike a lot of fakers importing shafts from Thailand, you've earned the right through hard work to this title.

Comment

• Originally Posted by sanman View Post
                            I have brought ash dowls from Thailand and made cues out of them. Where do you suppose I am going to get quality ash here in good old South Africa. Just because I got an ash dowl from elsewhere does that mean I have less of a skill at making a cue than anyone else or that I have cheated someone. Thats part of the reason I have never offered anyone any of my cues here cos of this exact sentiment towards anyone not using a piece of square timber. I have tried with ash sourced from here but the ash was of very poor quality and i gave up trying, I now have many hundred quid of 4 year old air dried pieces of crap timber but hey according to you they would make excellant cues.
                            Here we go - ding ding round 7

Can we have any threads without the terms 'air/klin dried ash coming up>?

J6 your cue splicing before on that cue reminds me a bit of a great cue I had from a maker now retired called Rodney Hinde
                            How much do you charge for one - a nice shaft picked out by you n re-spliced in say just plain black ebony if you source any?
                            Last edited by Byrom; 18 May 2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
                              It's going to have to be a bloody big badge to get all that on.
                              I've got a rough design. It would probably have to be a plate like Glover's. But plates are class, much nicer than the minimalist buttons everyone is using now. The great badge designs are all plates IMO.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                                I think your badge should say 'J6 Traditional....Hand Planed and Hand Made in the UK'

i hear you blaster an i like some of your romantic ideas. a nice plate can be tricky to cut but you've planted the seed

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                                Here we go - ding ding round 7

Can we have any threads without the terms 'air/klin dried ash coming up>?

J6 your cue splicing before on that cue reminds me a bit of a great cue I had from a maker now retired called Rodney Hinde
                                How much do you charge for one - a nice shaft picked out by you n re-spliced in say just plain black ebony if you source any?
                                no ebony at the mo b an im not confient enough to take on many commision pieces, but if i ever get to that stage i wouldn't be wanting an arm or a leg

heres a bit of work ive been doing on another coming through. its the one on the left on post #261

Last edited by j6uk; 18 May 2015, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X