John Parris Drill Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Parris Drill Holes

I'm just refinishing a Parris cue and nearly lost the pencil after re-oiling.

A bit surprised to see the pencil fall 7 inches into the extension butt joint hole. Is this normal for a Parris?

I have a picture of a pre-joint fitted Parris, just thought it a little odd, would have expected to find a little dowel further down at least?

Drill Hole.jpg
    Attached Files
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Have you owned the cue from new?

Comment

Don't think so - is it a unique cue?

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
        Have you owned the cue from new?
        Yep.

Custom made for me as I wanted it a little longer. Picked it up from there so know it's genuine (as regards supplied from the shop).

Comment

Ok, I take it its a 3/4 as its a classic cue? It might be that they cored out some of the butt to reduce the weight or alter the balance, if that is the case they haven't gone about it the right way though

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
            Ok, I take it its a 3/4 as its a classic cue? It might be that they cored out some of the butt to reduce the weight or alter the balance, if that is the case they haven't gone about it the right way though
            Yep. Spot on.

It was 59" so may have needed to make a few adjustments.

I was just a little surprised to see the pencil disappear so far!

Comment

Just checked my JP Ultimate and was astounded to find my pencil disappeared 6 1/4"!!! whats going on there then?

Comment

Originally Posted by gtjohnnymac1965 View Post
                Just checked my JP Ultimate and was astounded to find my pencil disappeared 6 1/4"!!! whats going on there then?
                Well. If you have an ultimate I would at least have expected the gap to be filled a little more with a dowel!!

Maybe Rogibear is right, it's drilled out to gain the balance when custom making.

Still, doesn't seem right to me. I wonder what affect this has on playability (if any) or noises (can't say as I have noticed any).

It just doesn't seem a stable way of completing the cue, maybe I'm wrong tough. I'd be interested in opinions from some more of the cue makers on here.

Comment

I genuinely can't think of any other reason for it. Certainly not a way I would finish a cue

Comment

John Parris Drill Holes

I've worked on almost every make of cue and you usually get this in 3/4 split Asian made cues
                    Last edited by Andy Travis; 15 September 2015, 05:49 PM.
                    Andy Travis cues (Photobucket)
                    Contact. <span style="color:#FF0000">trav2241...ail.com</span>
                    https://www.facebook.com/andy.travis...photosLocation
                    S36 1LB

Comment

Hmm i wonder if that's a clue

Comment

I have 3 cues at the moment, a Trevor White, an original badge Exquisite before the colour badges and a red glue Parris Elite. Couldn't get passed the sd joint on any of them.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          Hmm i wonder if that's a clue
                          ive just checked 4 of my parris cues with sd joints and all measure 45mm deep ranging from red glue ones to a more recent unique so a little info there , my other 2 have got leather on the bottom , dont like the fact you can get a full pencil down wow dont sound good , hollowed out hhmmm!!!!!!
                          nonchalant sideways action amongst some very ignorant pokes :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by ADW147CUEMAN View Post
                            ive just checked 4 of my parris cues with sd joints and all measure 45mm deep ranging from red glue ones to a more recent unique so a little info there , my other 2 have got leather on the bottom , dont like the fact you can get a full pencil down wow dont sound good , hollowed out hhmmm!!!!!!
                            Alan, does this effects the playblty of the cue ?
                            I'm asking this cus I have'nt played with one of those !!
                            So, just wonder !!
                            It does'nt sounds right . That's for sure !!

Comment

No need to answer !! I apologize !! I thought you said 45 cm , lol !!

Comment

Working...
                              X