Splice work and wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splice work and wood

Hi , I have been admiring this cue on eBay for a while , not to buy ,but just like the way it's made and the woods used, how has this been spliced and put together , I can't work out the order the splices have been done in. I also really like both the woods used, are they easy to get hold of, some right nice patterns on them, I would like to see a whole butt in that lighter wood.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emperor-Se...0AAOSwpzdWsJNR
    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 7 March 2016, 07:48 PM.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Seen a few like that, i'm guessing that perhaps the middle strip is cut into the main splice wedge kinda like a veneer?

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      Hi , I have been admiring this cue on eBay for a while , not to buy ,but just like the way it's made and the woods used, how has this been spliced and put together , I can't work out the order the splices have been done in. I also really like both the woods used, are they easy to get hold of, some right nice patterns on them, I would like to see a whole but in that lighter wood.
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emperor-Se...0AAOSwpzdWsJNR
      If you think that's good, check out CJ's website. Great blockwork.

Comment

I half thought this thread might be referring to this one. They do some nice splice work for the money.

Comment

I would say you take two strips of the lighter wood and a strip of darker wood and glue them together with the darker bit sandwiched in the middle . So you now have a block made up of 3 stripes of wood .

Cut your wedges out of that and splice as normal

Just my thoughts

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
            I half thought this thread might be referring to this one. They do some nice splice work for the money.
            I can't stand cues like that Tetricky, they look cheap to me, too over the top, look more like an Argos special.
            I appreciate it's each to their own.

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
              I would say you take two strips of the lighter wood and a strip of darker wood and glue them together with the darker bit sandwiched in the middle . So you now have a block made up of 3 stripes of wood .

Cut your wedges out of that and splice as normal

Just my thoughts
              I think you have nailed it Catch. I had it in my head they were spliced one at a time so couldn't figure it out, but I think you are right, would still like a full butt one piece in that lighter wood, is it the blood wood?

Comment

I can't stand cues like that Tetricky, they look cheap to me, too over the top, look more like an Argos special.
                It's simply vertical blockwork mate and adds a lot of time to the butt job bud. I like it but would prefer more contrast.

If you think this is cheap, what do you think of sanded down, cheap Chinese cues made by a machine?! :biggrin-new:

Comment

Oh, I agree. If you are from my cue picks I very much prefer the single front facing splice. I have to have a good reason to buy anything else. Simple and classic burwat style..... but if seen that and what you said made me think of that... nothing more.

Comment

Originally Posted by focus View Post
                    It's simply vertical blockwork mate and adds a lot of time to the butt job bud. I like it but would prefer more contrast.

If you think this is cheap, what do you think of sanded down, cheap Chinese cues made by a machine?! :biggrin-new:
                    It LOOKS cheap to me, whether it's made by a top cue maker or someone just starting out, too fussy for my taste.

Comment

It LOOKS cheap to me, whether it's made by a top cue maker or someone just starting out, too fussy for my taste.
                      a hearty +1

dare I say I think that block work looks cheesy too... same thing goes with Parris' Limited edition cues.
                      #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                        a hearty +1

dare I say I think that block work looks cheesy too... same thing goes with Parris' Limited edition cues.
                        What about on CJ's certificate cues though me mucker?

Comment

Originally Posted by focus View Post
                          What about on CJ's certificate cues though me mucker?

couldn't possibly criticise the quality of workmanship... but it looks hideous
                          #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

I agree with you. Aesthetic cue design never got better than this, for me. I've had a few just plain ebony butts, but they always feel a bit butt heavy to me. I feel like the front splice just lightens the cue a bit, in terms of looks, and perhaps psychologically. If you look at my post of my one piece cues, more than half follow the classic Burwat design ethic.

Comment

lol, poor CJ.

Comment

Working...
                              X