Ye olde ash cues for sale on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ye olde ash cues for sale on ebay

Just looking throught ebay cues for sale, I see that there are 2 old b/w ye olde ashs for sale,
    The first one is Ard147 proven to be the real thing, the second one looks totally different colour, badge, butt. have a look and let hear what you think ???

it a second edition note the hollow lettering. - shame it has a butt joint!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Just to introduce myself as the current owner of the 2nd ye olde ash cue for sale on ebay ! i know its a shame about butt joint and felt guilty about doing it but playing lots of competitions and wanted mini butt most of all for the extra bit stretch ! Been told that i should be using a longer cue because holding this one right at the butt so tried a longer john parris special cue and loved it ! just hope it goes to a good home ! Had intrest from France and Singapore
      Last edited by Belly; 9 July 2008, 07:25 PM.

Comment

whats it like to play with mate?
        stiff shaft?

is it nearly 57 inch?

Comment

Well, I am the current high bidder of the second cue(£51)!! What a coincidence.

Not sure about how you tell '1st edition' etc.........Steve Davis uses a genuine Ye Olde Ash cue and it has a jet black ebony butt so what edition is that?

Oldgit
          'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

the cue is 56.5 inches exactly .I can just say it feels totally solid right through to play with ! a dream to be honest ! gutted to give it up ! but felt i had to move on with longer cue ,and has worked, stroking the ball a lot better,and stopped snatching at shots with not holding the cue right at the end. The butt is all black ebony so not sure what edition Davis won all his titles with either !
            Last edited by Belly; 9 July 2008, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
              Well, I am the current high bidder of the second cue(£51)!! What a coincidence.

Not sure about how you tell '1st edition' etc.........Steve Davis uses a genuine Ye Olde Ash cue and it has a jet black ebony butt so what edition is that?

Oldgit
              it the writing on the badge and the way the screws are layed out.

Comment

Originally Posted by platt View Post
                it the writing on the badge and the way the screws are layed out.
                The original '1st edition' Ye Olde Ash Cues were the ones that Burroughs and Watts supposedly made from the reclaimed very old and red coloured ash. The only one of these that I have seen has 'Newcastle' on the badge rather than 'London'. All other Ye Olde Ash cues that I have ever seen have old ash shafts with an aged 'patina', exactly like the two on ebay at the moment.

Oldgit
                'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

This is what Dave Smith and Andy Hunter (both well known cue collectors) say about the famous Ye Olde Ash cue:-

The Ye Old Ash Cue

This cue was named after the wood which was used to produce the first edition. In the early 1920s, Burroughes & Watts acquired a quantity of 50-80 year-old ash from a shipyard and used it to manufacture this cue. Although it had just a plain ebony butt on a plain ash shaft, it was the most expensive cue they produced at the time. The old ash was a deep dark red colour.

When this limited supply of ash ran out they continued to make it using seasoned ash. This was not as old and looked like the ash of today, a honey colour. This second edition had a striped ebony butt and the badge was slightly different in shape, and smaller. Some of the badges for second edition cues have "hollow" lettering made up of parallel lines.

..........so according to the above, the macassor (striped ebony) butt Ye Olde Ash is a 2nd edition.

Oldgit
                  'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

So does anyone know what one Davis did use ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
                      This is what Dave Smith and Andy Hunter (both well known cue collectors) say about the famous Ye Olde Ash cue:-

The Ye Old Ash Cue

This cue was named after the wood which was used to produce the first edition. In the early 1920s, Burroughes & Watts acquired a quantity of 50-80 year-old ash from a shipyard and used it to manufacture this cue. Although it had just a plain ebony butt on a plain ash shaft, it was the most expensive cue they produced at the time. The old ash was a deep dark red colour.

When this limited supply of ash ran out they continued to make it using seasoned ash. This was not as old and looked like the ash of today, a honey colour. This second edition had a striped ebony butt and the badge was slightly different in shape, and smaller. Some of the badges for second edition cues have "hollow" lettering made up of parallel lines.

..........so according to the above, the macassor (striped ebony) butt Ye Olde Ash is a 2nd edition.

Oldgit
                      the redder shaft ones are macassar also at least the two gordon radford owns are.

Comment

Well, I would also point out that the cue that Steve Davis has always used has the plain ash shaft and is definitely NOT the old original reddish ash coloured shaft.

I don't think that anyone can tell the forum how much of the original reclaimed reddish coloured ash was used so we have no idea how many original 'first edition' Ye Olde Ash cues were made by Burroughs and Watts. It may be that they only produced a few which may explain the 'Burroughs and Watts Newcastle badge' on the very old reddish ash shaft cue that I saw.

Does anyone on this forum know how many years that Burroughs and Watts then carried on production of the Ye Olde Ash cue?

Of the two cues that Gordon Radford now has in his collection, one was originally owned by Andy Hunter!!

Oldgit
                        'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

that other ye olde ash is going well - for a 56.5" cue with a butt joint fitted and a tired badge its really flying.

Comment

Think the cue will go to someone who is going to use it rather than collect it which is what i would like ! already had offers of a lot more than current bid but am so intrested to see what it will actually go for like adr147's first edition !

Comment

Originally Posted by Belly View Post
                              Think the cue will go to someone who is going to use it rather than collect it which is what i would like ! already had offers of a lot more than current bid but am so intrested to see what it will actually go for like adr147's first edition !
                              i think you will get 350ish but i could be miles out! they don't turn up often.

Comment

Working...
                              X