No announcement yet.

Peradon Cue with a Knot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i recently attempted to 'hijack' some ash destined for peradon but the supplier refused to give in to me

they told me their north american producer had introduced new quality controls specifically for the demands of snooker cue manufacture. straight grain, clean, etc., etc..

yes, peradon are well established, but ash quality is, and has been, a constant issue. it's even a case that the factory guys were 'excited' and looking forward to getting this new 'super' ash stock.

but, i found out direct from the horse mouth a couple of days ago, that it's "back to the drawing board" and they were largely disappointed with what they got. so i'm very happy i did not succeed in getting some of that stock.

get in! for once the wooldridge charm failed, but it turned all turned out good

every single cue maker has problems finding really nice ash. some of us try harder than others (i certainly do, and i know this for a fact cos i'm lucky enough to get all the other makers cues here for various mods, and you should see some of the sh*t i have to work on ). i can tell you for sure that i sleep very easy with the quality i send out.

but any blemishes you find are really not the makers fault, more a case of that's all they can get. or the best they have at any particular time.

the small 'knot' edge in your cue is fine. ignore it. it's naturally occurring and largely unavoidable when producing large numbers of cues. it won't affect the way your cue plays.

and think of it like this - if your cue gets stolen you will recognise it easily cos it's the only one with a sh*tty knot in it
    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
      but any blemishes you find are really not the makers fault, more a case of that's all they can get. or the best they have at any particular time.

the small 'knot' edge in your cue is fine. ignore it. it's naturally occurring and largely unavoidable when producing large numbers of cues. it won't affect the way your cue plays.

and think of it like this - if your cue gets stolen you will recognise it easily cos it's the only one with a sh*tty knot in it
      Hi Mike,
      Thanks for that. It's really put my mind at ease. Knowing it's common and can't be helped makes it feel like I'm not getting ripped off at least!

Thanks again everyone
      Long days and pleasant nights.

Comment

you're definitely not getting ripped off mate. it's luck of the draw.

just accept it and learn to love it. cos it's yours
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

just accept it and learn to love it. cos it's yours
          that is a really nice comment Mike as was your posting above that ... I'm sure you don't need my praise but it is really good to hear a fine cuemaker being so genuine and honest ...

Comment

your lucky, my peradon has 6 knots in it!
            I couldn't care less though, it was only £70
            Last edited by matt926_uk; 20 July 2012, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Don't worry about it, these little things give character to your cue!
              John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

Just a question Mike, would a 'knot edge' like this if it was about 6 inches from the tip be a weak spot that could be liable to break over time or would the knot have to be deeper into the wood ?

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                  Just a question Mike, would a 'knot edge' like this if it was about 6 inches from the tip be a weak spot that could be liable to break over time or would the knot have to be deeper into the wood ?
                  Good point. Knots contain different amounts of oil and water to the rest of the wood, and they split and crack over time. I certainly couldn't imagine Parris knocking out cues with knots.
                  Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                    My god some of you have lofty expectations. My MW cue which I paid >£600 for has inperfections, the Glover cue I bought from Jason, has inperfections. These are the top price/quality makers... if you expect better from a cue that's 1/2 or 1/4 the cost you're having a laugh. Do they matter? No, they don't. If things like this matter to you more than how the cue plays, then that's pretty sad really.
                    Really? The ash on my Phoenix is as close to perfect as anything can be and Parris pretty much guarantees perfection on his Ultimate, so everything else in between should be free of major blemishes. Cue makers of note should simply bin shafts with imperfections IMO, they're charging enough. No cue maker should be using 100% of the stock he receives anyway, it's long been held that much has to be binned or shifted elsewhere, particularly maple. I've seen snooker cues in Lidl with imperfections in the shaft; no problem, they're £20. Should a ROS replica have double the amount of knots as a Peradon because it only costs half as much? Strange, because the ROS replicas I've seen don't have blemishes in the shaft. Not the greatest ash I'll admit, but knots, come on, I wouldn't put up with knots in my oak furniture, nevermind something as important as a cue.
                    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Parris doesn't guarantee perfection in Ultimates. None of the ones I've had or seen were perfect, one in particular was far from perfect.

Comment

Hi all,
                        I would just like to give you an update.
                        In Peradon's defence, they emailed me today.
                        After showing them the picture of the cue, they have freely replaced my cue for me!

I couldn't ask more than that at all, that's fantastic customer service.
                        These things happen, and they are really nice about it.

Being as it is, I'm only 10 minutes away from the "factory", so I might pick up my new cue tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone for putting my mind at ease and helping with your experiences. I hope this hasn't put you off Peradon. They are great to talk to and really helpful.

Of course, I think this is a special case because they know the store I bought it from are terrible and refusing to help.
                        Last edited by nullsys; 20 July 2012, 09:17 PM.
                        Long days and pleasant nights.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                          Really? The ash on my Phoenix is as close to perfect as anything can be and Parris pretty much guarantees perfection on his Ultimate, so everything else in between should be free of major blemishes. Cue makers of note should simply bin shafts with imperfections IMO, they're charging enough. No cue maker should be using 100% of the stock he receives anyway, it's long been held that much has to be binned or shifted elsewhere, particularly maple. I've seen snooker cues in Lidl with imperfections in the shaft; no problem, they're £20. Should a ROS replica have double the amount of knots as a Peradon because it only costs half as much? Strange, because the ROS replicas I've seen don't have blemishes in the shaft. Not the greatest ash I'll admit, but knots, come on, I wouldn't put up with knots in my oak furniture, nevermind something as important as a cue.
                          I have a Phoenix Mark Williams and a Craftsman Handmade by Dave Brown like yours both are as near perfect as you can get Ok ! knots and other marks are cosmetic but when I spend my cash I expect a decent looking cue, lets face it a car can have lots of scratches and dents that dont affect its performance but would you buy it ?

Comment

Good Day, Glad you got a replacement, I purchased a Dunn's cue with maple shaft, got it at 120 GBP, low end. It plays excellently but the knot was always facing up because I hold my cue with the flat down, it was very visible and totally distracting, if I played with butt flat up it would not have been a problem. Great cue to have in the rack for visitors. I honestly think that before it was shipped to me in Canada it was inspected and because of the price, it was shipped. No problems at that price, even though I was very dissapointed at first, I know you only get what you pay for.
                            Cheers,
                            Rolly C. sends
                            I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by nullsys View Post
                              Hi all,
                              I would just like to give you an update.
                              In Peradon's defence, they emailed me today.
                              After showing them the picture of the cue, they have freely replaced my cue for me!

I couldn't ask more than that at all, that's fantastic customer service.
                              These things happen, and they are really nice about it.

Being as it is, I'm only 10 minutes away from the "factory", so I might pick up my new cue tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone for putting my mind at ease and helping with your experiences. I hope this hasn't put you off Peradon. They are great to talk to and really helpful.

Of course, I think this is a special case because they know the store I bought it from are terrible and refusing to help.
                              Glad you got a good result snooker is a hard enough game as it is, and you have got to be happy with your cue.

Comment

sharkster:

You should have contacted me first. I still have some very nice 3/4-butt cues with extensions here going for a good price, like a JP Classic below $400 and an Exquisite cue for $500 or at the lower end a couple at $300 or less

As far as I can remember, there are no knots either!

Terry
                                Terry Davidson
                                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                                X