How clean is snooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How clean is snooker?

With recent "claims" or insinuations about golf - http://sport.guardian.co.uk/open2007...129525,00.html and cycling being in the news yet again about drugs in their sport, how clean do you think snooker is at the moment, and if not 100% clean, do you think it worse than ever before, or possibly better?

(not asking to name names, just a general opinion of the whole snooker circuit)

To answer that it would be interesting to know how and when players are tested in snooker. I have no idea...
    Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ekphantos
      To answer that it would be interesting to know how and when players are tested in snooker. I have no idea...
      I'd guess the procedures are standard. Wonder if the players are tested also during the offseason like in most olympic sports?

I know there have been failed tests, but nowadays snooker seems to be clean from this stuff, at least I get such an impression. Maybe not such a big issue as not all stuff works to enhance performance in snooker?
      ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Originally Posted by April madness
        I'd guess the procedures are standard.
        Sure, but is everybody tested? Only after matches? Apart from matches (they seem to do that in biking)?
        Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

good start to this thread already Ek and Madz

thats the sort of questions which could promote healthy debate on the subject, and also hopefully someone will be able to answer such questions, or point us in the direction of whats most likely true....

Comment

Here are the World Confederation Of Billiards Sports anti-doping rules:
            http://www.billiardworld.org/Doping.pdf (applies also to WPBSA as a member of WCBS)

As I understand, players can be tested not only during competition, but also off-competition time. And also top 8 players have to inform about their wereabouts (so the officials can test them any time). Not sure how it is working though, would be interesting to know a bit more about that.
            ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

This might be a daft question, but which substances are they testing for?

I did a quick search and came up with nothing except marijuana and beta blockers
              Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

well, from that WCBS paper I understood they test for all the usual stuff that's listed in WADA papers. any snooker player using steroids? (edit: marijuana, cocaine and such stuff included in that list)
                ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Originally Posted by Ekphantos
                  Sure, but is everybody tested? Only after matches? Apart from matches (they seem to do that in biking)?
                  I think i read somewhere that it is random testing, rather than testing everyone.
                  "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by April madness
                    well, from that WCBS paper I understood they test for all the usual stuff that's listed in WADA papers. any snooker player using steroids? (edit: marijuana, cocaine and such stuff included in that list)
                    What would be the use in snorting coke before a match? You get hyper, and I suppose hyperness isn't the best thing for a snooker player.

As for the steroids - strip, lads!

Comment

Originally Posted by Maija
                      What would be the use in snorting coke before a match? You get hyper, and I suppose hyperness isn't the best thing for a snooker player.

one word - Confidence. Not a small issue in snooker.
                      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g
                        one word - Confidence. Not a small issue in snooker.
                        But still... if you trade an amount of your abilities (rational shot selection for instance) for confidence, how far does that take you, really?

(I'm asking, not arguing, btw, just so that we're clear on that.)

Comment

Originally Posted by Maija
                          But still... if you trade an amount of your abilities (rational shot selection for instance) for confidence, how far does that take you, really?

(I'm asking, not arguing, btw, just so that we're clear on that.)
                          Yes reckless shot selection could be a problem. But a confident relaxed approach and positive striking of the ball could actually see those reckless shots coming off as planned.

The only instance of alleged cocaine use during a pro snooker match that I'm aware of was between Kirk Stevens and Silvino Francisco. If I remember correctly, Stevens was not only flying in a snoker sense, and Francisco accused him of being high as a kite.

Comment

I believe nowadays most players, especially the top seeds, are much wiser & would think twice before doing anything that would smear their reputation... I'm pretty sure if someone needs a certain "banned" substance, it would be for a medical reason & would be backed by the proper medical prescription!

Comment

This is an interesting topic.
                              Being an old hippy I often wondered back in the seventies and eighties whether John Spencer was on coke, the older members will remember his sniff every twenty seconds or so. I quickly hasten to add, I say that in passing and have absolutely no evidence he was and it was probably a minor mannerism peculier to him.
                              I would find it difficult to play snooker when stoned, and a few players have been caught because they attended a party a few days prior to playing or being tested. Cannabis stays in your body for as long as 28 days, other drugs for less but there is still a timescale after the event.
                              I think snooker got caught up in the "clean up sport campaigns" of the eighties and in line with other sports was forced to do testing, although it has never been a problem as such in snooker.
                              I was particularly disappointed that with this blanket ban that was imposed,they chose to ban Bete Blockers ( propranolol ) which is a legal drug only precribed by doctors.
                              One in a hundred human beings suffer with limb tremble to differing degree and snooker has had two very famous sons, Bill Wierbinick and Niel Foulds who suffered from it, big bill used alcohol for its cure and Niel used beta blockers. The ban on this tablet forced Niel into early retirement.
                              Perhaps beta blocker could be of use in performance enhancing, because it slows your heart rate down, and we can all see the benefit in that with regards to snooker.
                              Without diversing too much I often wonder whether it would have been worthwhile for Niel to have pursued his right to play snooker in the human rights courts as he was using a justified medicine to correct an abnormality, but thats another story.
                              There is quite a lengthy list of players who have tested positive, but was more the after effect of a party, rather than trying to improve their performance.
                              From that aspect I dont see a drug problem in snooker, but our lads are young and as vulnerable as the next kid and when at a party a line of coke or a spliff is sometimes difficult to refuse after a few glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              X