Black ferrule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by G30 MC View Post
    I got Richie MacDonald to fit his version of a Black ferrule to both my Snooker Cue and my Pool, It was really good on my Pool Cue, But did not like it on my Snooker Cue. Sold the Pool Cue, Keep meaning to contact him to do another for me:snooker:
    Hi George a was at Ritchys today and having talked about his one and saw one on and it looks so good

Comment

I believe he's patented it so only he can make them, as far as I know it has a stem which protrudes down inside the shaft (no idea how far) and also sits around the shaft like a standard ferrule, in effect strengthening and stiffening the end of the shaft. Sounds like a lot of thought was put in to it!

Comment

A think he may of had a patented but am still not sure because a do not make cues so if you make cues how can you get this so called core in the shaft of the cue? And do we all just believe what we are told or read about ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Removal man stevie View Post
          A think he may of had a patented but am still not sure because a do not make cues so if you make cues how can you get this so called core in the shaft of the cue? And do we all just believe what we are told or read about ?
          I think it is something called a drill
          maybe very small bit as well
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            I think it is something called a drill
            maybe very small bit as well
            Trust you dean haha. Yes a no that there would be a drill and a small bit but it would have to be attached to sum thing at the end . And don't say a plug haha

Comment

I'm guessing the actual ferrule bit is solid Stevie , so the black bit you actually see isn't a ring or tube like a brass ferrule, it's one solid piece, on the bottom of that is some type of let's call it a spike, the tip end of your cue would be drilled straight down into it, and the spike inserted and glued so just the black ferruley bit is showing on the top of your cue looking like a black ferrule, this is just my thoughts on how it's fitted.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I'll give my opinion on how its done. I think that it basically comes to him in a long rod say 12mm in diameter, he then cuts to length and then turns all bar the last 5-6mm to create the core, which is rebated from the ferrule. I would imagine that he would drill from the tip end however centring it would be key for the distance he would be drilling in. Probably uses a 'gun drill' for it, which attaches to a lathe. Could be wrong

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  I'm guessing the actual ferrule bit is solid Stevie , so the black bit you actually see isn't a ring or tube like a brass ferrule, it's one solid piece, on the bottom of that is some type of let's call it a spike, the tip end of your cue would be drilled straight down into it, and the spike inserted and glued so just the black ferruley bit is showing on the top of your cue looking like a black ferrule, this is just my thoughts on how it's fitted.
                  Yes a think the same way mate

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                    I'll give my opinion on how its done. I think that it basically comes to him in a long rod say 12mm in diameter, he then cuts to length and then turns all bar the last 5-6mm to create the core, which is rebated from the ferrule. I would imagine that he would drill from the tip end however centring it would be key for the distance he would be drilling in. Probably uses a 'gun drill' for it, which attaches to a lathe. Could be wrong
                    that is how I see it but was not sure on the "technical" terms
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hi George a was at Ritchys today and having talked about his one and saw one on and it looks so good
                      Good thing with Ritchy's they are reversible:snooker:

Comment

I have removed that suggestion because it was stupid
                        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 18 April 2014, 07:58 PM.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

So as a cue maker your self Rogi Bear do you think it's not as complex as it's ment to sound and still a plastic or nylon ferrule but it's attached or fixed down on to the base or top of ferrule ?

Comment

Originally Posted by G30 MC View Post
                            Good thing with Ritchy's they are reversible:snooker:
                            Yes they can be reversed George

Comment

So as a cue maker your self Rogi Bear do you think it's not as complex as it's ment to sound and still a plastic or nylon ferrule but it's attached or fixed down on to the base or top of ferrule ?
                              Well i wouldn't go that far stevie, I definitely wouldn't call myself a cue maker lol, but I think the actual construction in theory is fairly simple. Whether it helps with deflection or whatever I couldn't tell you if that's true however judging by the amount of work mike puts into his concepts there must be a reason. Without any numbers it's difficult to see how any claims can be upheld.
                              Last edited by RogiBear; 18 April 2014, 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The original thread read was it worth getting a black ferrule fitted. I remember Cliff Thorborn using one of these back in the eighties.

The black ferrule idea was purely to aid with striking the cue ball in the centre for those whose eyesight wasnt so good.

Mikes Bkackspin ferrule system is apparantly designed on technical grounds and you can make up your own minds as to if the publicity is sales hype or actual proven fact.
                                "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                                X