No announcement yet.

Black ferrule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't got a clue how low deflection materials work, but from what I can gather even everyday nylon or fibre ferrules deflect less than brass ones(only going by others testimony) could it be possible with these being softer than brass there is some type of shock absorption happening , reducing the throw, so with a full ferrule even more so? There are a lot of clever people on here who know a lot about how materials work, hopefully one will come on and tell us.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
      Well i wouldn't go that far stevie, I definitely wouldn't call myself a cue maker lol, but I think the actual construction in theory is fairly simple. Whether it helps with deflection or whatever I couldn't tell you if that's true however judging by the amount of work mike puts into his concepts there must be a reason. Without any numbers it's difficult to see how any claims can be upheld.
      Yes well you have made sum and you have knowledge of how cues are made and yes mike does no his stuff and must be sum thing in it or a take it he would not do it

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        I haven't got a clue how low deflection materials work, but from what I can gather even everyday nylon or fibre ferrules deflect less than brass ones(only going by others testimony) could it be possible with these being softer than brass there is some type of shock absorption happening , reducing the throw, so with a full ferrule even more so? There are a lot of clever people on here who know a lot about how materials work, hopefully one will come on and tell us.
        I'm pretty sure its mainly due to the weight of the ferrule. ie lighter would deflect less. Composition would also have some effect

Comment

Could be right Rogi, never thought of that.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by Removal man stevie View Post
            Yes well you have made sum and you have knowledge of how cues are made and yes mike does no his stuff and must be sum thing in it or a take it he would not do it
            True, going back to you original question. I think it might be better to try one before you decide. After all it's quite an expense on something you can't go back on. It isn't for everyone, unlike other well known sayings about black I tried one last year and hated it, felt dead to me (talking ferrules here) . My friend however loves it.

Comment

True, going back to you original question. I think it might be better to try one before you decide. After all it's quite an expense on something you can't go back on. It isn't for everyone, unlike other well known sayings about black I tried one last year and hated it, felt dead to me (talking ferrules here) . My friend however loves it.
              Mate the tears are streaming down my face and my cup of tee is all over the carpet am pissing ma pants hear so funny

Comment

still talking about ferrules?
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I might be wrong but this is my understanding of how blackspin works (cross-section) not to scale!
                  http://s938.photobucket.com/user/w1g...fb138.jpg.html

Also, Dean, I've just realised I completely forgot to send that stuff. Will get it in the post on Tuesday!

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    still talking about ferrules?
                    haha I think so, however I can't always speak for him

Comment

Just so you guys know...McDermott Cues in the States have a similar ferrule system which they introduced over 5yrs ago. I'm not sure what they call it but last time I checked their website it was still there along with a complete diagram of what is consists of.

I tried a McDermott cue in Las Vegas about 5 years ago with this type of ferrule (it belonged to a US pro) and I did find it had a lot less throw that even a regular black plastic ferrule.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by bradwight View Post
                        I might be wrong but this is my understanding of how blackspin works (cross-section) not to scale!

Also, Dean, I've just realised I completely forgot to send that stuff. Will get it in the post on Tuesday!
                        very like what I think as well but as Rogi described the "top" part would be a solid cylinder and not with the rebate.

ah, yes forgot as well myself, cheers that would be great, you still got the details?

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          Just so you guys know...McDermott Cues in the States have a similar ferrule system which they introduced over 5yrs ago. I'm not sure what they call it but last time I checked their website it was still there along with a complete diagram of what is consists of.

I tried a McDermott cue in Las Vegas about 5 years ago with this type of ferrule (it belonged to a US pro) and I did find it had a lot less throw that even a regular black plastic ferrule.

Terry
                          G-Core
                          http://www.mcdermottcue.com/mcdermott_gcore_shafts.php

Comment

or more closer to how I see BlackSpin the Intimidator shaft, the white piece in the diagram (without the carbon fibre stuff

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/mcdermot...or_ishafts.php

Comment

Aye still got them mate.

I thought Mike had written that the ferrule goes around the shaft like a conventional ferrule as well as inside. May be wrong but if it doesn't go around the outside it would leave the wood prone to splintering which was the whole reason behind ferrules being invented in the first place.

Would be helpful if someone would get one fitted then chop it in half. Now which member likes chopping up expensive custom 'handmade' cues.... Ha ha.

Comment

Originally Posted by bradwight View Post

I think I agree with this actually, it eliminates the weak point which would otherwise occur laterally.

Comment

Working...
                                X